Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with feeding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweetcorn
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Help with feeding Reply with quote

Thought I would start a new thread for this one. One of our new snow corns has refused to eat since we got her. She did have 4 feeds before she came. We've had her about 4 weeks now and last night tried putting her in a wax worm tub with a pinkie overnight. This is what we found this morning. Having never had a snake regurge is this what it is or has she just chewed on it?

AJ
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sweetcorn sorry to hear she is still not eatting for you .what you have there is just a bashed up pinkie Confused
Try offering her just a tiny bit off raw chicken fillet about the size of a pinkie this normally works for me .
AJ
www.ajsreptiles.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sweetcorn
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AJ will give that a go. The first feeding we initially thought she had eaten because there was no pinky in the morning. Later that night when we were refreshing her water I moved one of her hides and it was in there.

How long should we wait now before trying the chicken do you think?
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like shes having a good go but 'giving up' when they can't swallow it head on. Thats what my corn did.

Could you not (I know its gross) but chop the pinkies head of so she can just eat that?
That way she should be able to eat it whatever way she takes it and much better than feeding her chicken IMO. She looks like shes had a good go on the pinkie Tbh.

I would try that in maybe 2 days? Just cut it so that whatever way she takes it (side on, front or back) she can swallow it with ease.

Once shes fed this way it will encourage her to feed abit better with whole pinkies. Good luck (:

2.1.0 Python Regius
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.0.1 Lampropeltis getulus californiae
1.0.0 Pantherophis guttata guttata
0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
Sweetcorn
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jezz.....should we put her back in the wax worm tub again to do that? It took us quite a while to get her in it last night and I don't want to stress her out too much.
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it would be best. If your worried leave it 3 maybe 4 days then, it should work, if not then try chicken thing, should work!

2.1.0 Python Regius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
Sweetcorn
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....thanks very much Jezz. I know snakes can go a while without food (like yours did lol) but she's just a baby still Sad
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ii know, I know. Thats the worrying thing when they are babies. But don't worry she can go a while too. Have you tried getting her to strike feed?

2.1.0 Python Regius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corns love striking. one of my babies(sultan)wont eat unless he gets to strike.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She did strike at it once but then immediately let it go. We've moved her now back to a cricket box like she came in and are gonna leave her completely for a week and then try again.

My little normal was abit like this when we got him and he would only feed every 10 days or so and only if he was left alone with a pinky in his cricket tub and covered over. Now he feeds fine and out in the large feeding tub the same as the others do.

Fingers crossed that with no interaction at all from us she'll take it on Friday but will just start with the head and see how it goes!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: