Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Southern Scrub Python (Morelia clastolepis)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick_Albig
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Southern Scrub Python (Morelia clastolepis) Reply with quote

Here is a stunning male Southern Scrub i picked up last night from Barrym (cheers mate!)

He is around 10' and full of the usual Scrub attitude!

Enjoy!

Rick

MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning mate Cool Did Phil cry when he saw his personality? Laughing

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
robuk
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous looking scrub. Certainly looks like a southern, but I think he'll fall into the Amethistina complex rather than Clastolepis.

Regards
Rob
Rick_Albig
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:

Hahaha, he stayed well clear! I think we both s**t ourselves whn we were driving home down the M6 at 2.30am and i felt him crawl up my arm Shocked He was still in the douvet cover thank god but had managed to rear up about 2.5' and brush agains me! All entertaining stuff!

robuk wrote:
Gorgeous looking scrub. Certainly looks like a southern, but I think he'll fall into the Amethistina complex rather than Clastolepis

Thanks for that male! I am not really trhat well up on the Scrub complex! Guess i have some research to do!

Rick
Rick_Albig
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a quick look and found this.

http://www.moreliasnake.com/article001.php

If you look at the scale configuration on the heads of the my animal and the one in the picture it would suggest he was a Tanimbar-Island Python Morelia nauta rather than a M amethistina.

Any thaughts?

Rick
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick_Albig wrote:
MJ wrote:

Hahaha, he stayed well clear! I think we both s**t ourselves whn we were driving home down the M6 at 2.30am and i felt him crawl up my arm Shocked He was still in the douvet cover thank god but had managed to rear up about 2.5' and brush agains me! All entertaining stuff!

Laughing yeah I did stay well back when he was being taken out of the viv! I made sure I was right next to the window in case I needed to get out quick! Laughing
And yeah that did make my heart stop when you jumped when it touched your arm, I thought it had got out haha, all in all a fun trip though! Cool
robuk
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on the subject and not too good on scalation, but based on the size and to an extent, markings, I'd still lean towards a southern. In any case, he's a really nice animal. Where is Jon Griffin when you need him? Laughing
salvator
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunner! A totally underrated species in my opinion. Hopefully with more being bred now the bad reputation of the WCs will slowly die out- similar to old retic beliefs on temperament.
Being a Male at 10' he's too big to be a Tanimbar. I think you're spot on with Southern Scrub.
Any breeding plans with him as of yet?
Regards Laurie
Rick_Albig
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers everyone!

salvator wrote:
Stunner! A totally underrated species in my opinion. Hopefully with more being bred now the bad reputation of the WCs will slowly die out- similar to old retic beliefs on temperament.
Being a Male at 10' he's too big to be a Tanimbar. I think you're spot on with Southern Scrub.
Any breeding plans with him as of yet?
Regards Laurie

Could not agree more! I would love to breed him. Just need to find myself a nice big female southern! If any one knows of any available please let me know Cool

Rick
jon_g
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet has been terrible here for a week...but its has been very sunny...lol...

It does look like a southern bar neck, but occasionally you do get a scrub from the northern islands of aru which look similar.

My bet is it is a merauke/southern bar neck(although yours doesnt have very prominent neck bars)

Very nice looking animal.

Do you know if he is a cb?

Try to get hold of a copy the below paper, some parts missing and the genetics work a bit unrefined but a very interesting read with some nice descriptions of most scrub pythons.

SYSTEMATICS OF PYTHONS OF THE MORELIA AMETHISTINA COMPLEX (SERPENTES: BOIDAE) WITH THE DESCRIPTION OF THREE NEW SPECIES

Michael B. Harvey1, David G. Barker2, Loren K. Ammerman1, and Paul T. Chippindale1

http://www.worldwidefauna.com

Exporters from Indonesia, You have tried the rest now try the best!!

http://worldwidefauna.com/index.php?cPath=52_22

http://www.ecoterrariumsupply.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: