Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heating dart frog viv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooky87
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Heating dart frog viv Reply with quote

i am using exo terra vivs at the moment with heat mats with stats but am changing vivs from the exo terra to custom made viv that someone built for me they are the same as the ent vivs but without the false bottom my Question is as the glass is thinner than the exo terra viv`s wil having a heat mat underneath crack the glass and how will i get the sensor for the stat in the viv with the exo terra it has closable wire or tube inlets so its easy to stick the stat sensor in the viv is there any other way to heat the viv without using a mat the room they are in is a cool room so it will deff need to be heated any help with this matter will be great cheers
Matt
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

There really is no need to heat a dart frog vivarium unless the room gets way below 60 in the winter.

Heat will kill a dart faster than cold mate and the lighting should provide enough heat to keep the inside of the viv at around 70-75 mate which is fine for most dart species.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Hooky87
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the room they are in is a big cool room and i only have 3 tanks in there also you say the lighting should be enough what lighting are you talking about i am using t8 at the mo
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lights above glass in a vivarium with little ventilation (as a proper built dart frog viv would have) will warm up well with T8 's depending on size of the viv and if you have reflectors on the lights mate.

I would recomend adding another T8 on the vivs it will increase plant growth and add a little more heat to the viv due to a green house effect.

In 11+ years of keeping darts I've never used any heating and never needed to even in cold rooms but I have had frogs drop quickly from over heating in the summer months so run a reverse cycle for that reason Cool

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Hooky87
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool so if i run a single t8 in warmer months and 2 t8 in winter months so is it because exo terra arnt proper dart frog vivs that it is hard to keep temp an humidity up without heating
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope even with ET's you wouldn't need heating all yu would have to do is place glass over the mesh top.

Using a heat mat isn't a bad thing but it really isn't needed to keep a dart happy and healthy and could do more harm than good in most cases.

2 T8's all year wouldn't be a bad thing mate you would just need to watch temps in the hotter months and adjust your cycle accordingly I run lights from 10pm until 10am in the summer and 9am to 9pm-930pm in the winter months.. with blinds drawn through out the day in summer and a fan on and off all day long but I have very closed vivaria mostly

Hooky87
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this winter i struggled with the temp getting a day temp of 18c so i used a heat mat if i struggle with the temp agen using 2 t8 should i use t5 also you keep banded leucs do you breed them
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8's should do fine mate you could try T5's but I'm sure T8's get warmer, do you have a hood on the viv or just reflectors?

Yep I have banded luecs available Cool PM me and we can chat about that just to keep it off the forum Very Happy Cool

Hooky87
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm`d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: