Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dog Insurance
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Dog Insurance Reply with quote

Looking at getting insurance for my pair of Dodermans, any suggestions on a good one?

Looked at a few and they all appear similar, but range from £22 per month up to £35 for EACH dog Shocked (be cheaper to just replace the dogs every ten months Embarassed Laughing )

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennel club... Cool
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those theiving gits wanted £35 per dog Shocked

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are good mate and pay out straight away...Dennis £55 a month now though because of all his claims...lol Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insurance for stitch, american bulldog=£10 a month. they just paid out £1750 for a cruciate operation which they wont cover next year. havent got the wee one insured yet but will go with the same company. its asda by the way.
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mate how much is your exotics? and that would rarely pay out compared to possible dog claims Wink

Risk transference old chap risk transference peace of mind blah blah should we start paper work?

Laughing feels like the old das when I was an insurance agent Laughing

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are with Petplan for our dogs. Only have the one insured at the moment and that is at £31 per month. Glad we have the insurance as she has just been diagnosed as having lymphoma.
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have the dogs under Petplan Supreme - its £31 a month in theory (I have discount for being a vet) but in my eyes they are the best one out there because they have very little exclusions and will pay out quickly. The £31 with them is because of being in the higher end of location prices. My parents pay £22 for the same cover but they live elsewhere! The supreme one I have has no limit on cost which is good, for the rare event of a serious emergency where placement in an intensive care unit can eat a maximum claim quickly (having worked in the ICU units I know how expensive it can be!)
To sum up these are what to check for:

- LIFE LONG insurance - get this as it will cover the animal for the disease for life. DO NOT GO FOR year policy which only cover for a year.

- EXCLUSIONS - check what is covered and what is not.

- MAXIMUM CLAIM - some do a max of £xxxx per disease, some do a max of £xxxx per year and restart the following year. And some do no maximum. This means that is you reach the max £xxx per disease you then have to pay the rest of the cost for the rest of the animals life - can mount up to a lot with cases like Diabetes Mellitus. Ones where you have a max £xxx per year mean if you have a claim of say a broken leg due to traffic accident, it might take you over the budget and for the rest of the year you wont be able to claim, but the following year it starts again and hopefully wont have too big claims in 2 years! The last option is lifelong cover with no maximum - this means any amount can be claimed for each disease for life.

- THIRD PARTY - always check it has this, as say the animal runs into road and causes a traffic accident then you will be liable for the drivers claims - having this will cover this aspect.

- ILLNESS COVER - some do this were say the owner was taken ill and the animal had to go into a kennels for some time, the insurance will pay for this.

- ADVERTISING - always good to know you have cover if in the worse case you lose you pet somewhere

- COVER for death - nice to have, but you have to keep the reciept for the full money or they will give "market value". Now I personally wouldnt worry if lost this money as money will never replace my boys. However Im sure its very useful for people how fork out £2000 for bulldogs etc. BUT beware, some only do a maximum on this too.

Hope these little pointers help you decide Smile

Bri - Im so sorry to hear about your little girl. My heart goes out to you

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
Jack
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do beleve M&S are the best aroun they have a no exess ect so are cheepest about
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
i do beleve M&S are the best aroun they have a no exess ect so are cheepest about

Jack with all due respect, just because they are cheap and have no excess doesnt make them the best around. All the points I said above need to be looked into as with buying any insurance. Cheaper isnt always better. Please dont take offence. We deal with insurance companies all the time and are asked about which insurance is best (by the way Vets are not allowed to promot one single insurance from their vet practice anymore) so I always go through the above no matter what company it is with.

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: