Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viv-Mates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iriechris
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Viv-Mates Reply with quote

Hi all,

Quick newbie question about tortoises!!, I have noticed lately that Alot of keepers, breeders and Zoo's keep tortoises in Viv's with certain species of lizards e.g beardies, shinglebacks, skinks and uromastyx.

Is this acceptable by you guys? I am soon to be creating a large vivarium for my uromastyx and if this is acceptable then what would be the best tortoise to keep in the habitat.

Thanks all

P.S the Viv will be 5X3 for 2 uromastyx. This will be huge for them as they currently live in a 3X2

Varanus 0.0.1
Rhacodactylus 1.0.0
Uromastyx 1.1.0
iriechris
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP

Can anyone help please????

Varanus 0.0.1
Rhacodactylus 1.0.0
Uromastyx 1.1.0
scrambled legs
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

i'm short of time right now and i can answer your question in detail later on today or tomorrow but it is a bad idea to keep a tortoise in a viv,

http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=204

try this link for a quick fix.

neil.
crested geckos, rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, cat, jackapoo, poodle, a gazillion fish.
iriechris
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect! thanks alot will def not be doing this then,

Very strange that zoo's do it Shocked

Varanus 0.0.1
Rhacodactylus 1.0.0
Uromastyx 1.1.0
scrambled legs
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad the link helped with the question mate,

zoos make everything look nice for the paying customers... don't forget that space is sometimes a problem too in zoos.

lots of zoos mix tortoise species too, mixing european tortoises with tropicals....

just because they are zoos, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. on that same forum there is also a post of various zoos with pics of all the bad mixes of species and all the incorrect diets they feed the poor tortoises.

four of my tortoises came from a zoo and the shells are naff, deformities from lack of calcium and uv.. probably a diet of brassicas etc..

take care

Neil.
crested geckos, rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, cat, jackapoo, poodle, a gazillion fish.
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its scary but true what Scrambled legs says about some zoos( I think). As evidence it is quite incredible how little some zoos manage to breed.

What I have found though is outdoors lizards and tortoises can be kept together. I keep European torts with lacertid lizards and Australian water dragons. The difference is that they have fresh air and lots of space. The enclosures are around 3x3 metres in size. The only problem is that I have had find a way to stop the tortoises from eating the giant mealworms. Given the chance they will eat a bowlful !
scrambled legs
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a good link you might like to see regarding the whole bad husbandry in zoos

for mark and chris.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/activities/shame.htm

i know i've strayed everyone from the point of this subject but it was just posted to show how badly some zoos keep a variety of species. and their complete lack of respect and care.

as for tortoises being mixed, this is just my opinion and at no point use this as gospel but i believe that med tortoises cross paths. mixing species is frowned apon by most but i believe that you can keep hermanns and margies together, but spur thighed seperately. this is because no interbreeding will occur between margie and thb or thh but spurthighs will create hybrids if kept together with any of the other.

i'm straying further from the topic!

Neil.

mark, i'll contact you at weekend. my work computer has no email (so we work harder)
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a single marginated with my Hermanns. It's the Spurthighs that live with the lizards.

I keep trying, but for some reason my internet explorer will not let me in the TT site. It's very annoying. The rest of the internet is fine !

Will try to take some pics soon Neil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: