Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taxonomy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mujician
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Taxonomy Reply with quote

Just a quick question - Why are monitors all called Varanus? Even the dwarf ones. When I was working in a tropical fish shop there were fish in the same familly that had different first names - I.E the eartheaters - Geophagus. They are related to Blue rams which are Microgeophagus - a dwarf geophagus species. Therefore - why are things like ackies and other dwarf monitors called something like Microvaranus. This way, when a new species is discovered/named and it appears somewhere we all know whether its dwarf or a big bugger.
0.1 Royal Python (Python Regius)
1.1 Saharan Sand Boa (Eryx Muelleri)
3.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (Eryx Colubrinus)
shay_
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every animal has a taxonomic classification including species, genus, family, order, class, phylum, kingdom, and domain. It begins to get complicated when a whole bunch of extra taxonomic levels get added inbetween, such as superphylum, subphylum and so on.

The genus Varanus does have a subgenus that separates the different groups of monitor lizards. An example would be the subgenus Odatria which is all the small monitors like ackies, tristis, glauerti and so on. The subgenus Polydaedalus includes the African monitors. The subgenus Euprepiosaurus includes the indicus complex and prasinus complex monitors. I don't recall off hand, but I know there is at least 9 subgenus's under the genus Varanus.

I don't know if that answered your question, but I gave it a shot

cheers
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a good page on varanus.nl that has the Varanus 'family' tree which illustrates all the sub-genus'

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: