Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Communal Racking system
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mujician
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Communal Racking system Reply with quote

Okay - I would like to keep different species next to each other in a rack. With boas and pythons I know this is a no-no!, but what about sand boas and leopard geckos? Currently, my two baby leos are sittin gon top of my sand boa rack and thought it would be possible to stick the tub un the shelves with the boas? Any thoughts?
0.1 Royal Python (Python Regius)
1.1 Saharan Sand Boa (Eryx Muelleri)
3.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (Eryx Colubrinus)
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest i do not see anything wrong with that, the sand boas are mainly fossorial in nature, so the leos will not see tham often.

I would try it, and if you have any problems, like one of them not eating, or changes in behaviour then change back Wink

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Mujician
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to find out really about health issues. Like - I wouldn't put a royal python in the same rack as the sand boas due to the risk of IBD. are there any diseases that can affect leos from sand boas and vice-versa?
toyah
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mujician wrote:
I was trying to find out really about health issues. Like - I wouldn't put a royal python in the same rack as the sand boas due to the risk of IBD. are there any diseases that can affect leos from sand boas and vice-versa?

Either your snakes have IBD, or they don't. If they don't, then putting boas and pythons near each other won't cause any problems!

If they do have IBD, then yes an asymptomatic boa could infect a python, which is likely to quickly get ill and die - but surely better for you in the long run that you know you have IBD, rather than be ignorant of it?
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you want to put leopard geckos in the same tank as your sand boas Question Confused

If so your geckos won't be around for too long...
Mujician
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JStroud wrote:
Are you saying you want to put leopard geckos in the same tank as your sand boas Question Confused

If so your geckos won't be around for too long...

Obviously you haven't got the ability to read - or maybe you don't have the ability to comprehend.
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it makes perfect sense!

Quote:
Currently, my two baby leos are sittin gon top of my sand boa rack and thought it would be possible to stick the tub un the shelves with the boas

Or maybe it's that you don't have the ability to spell/make sense/communicate/converse politely/make friends? Rolling Eyes
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JStroud wrote:
You're right, it makes perfect sense!

Quote:
Currently, my two baby leos are sittin gon top of my sand boa rack and thought it would be possible to stick the tub un the shelves with the boas

Or maybe it's that you don't have the ability to spell/make sense/communicate/converse politely/make friends? Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Lynne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Communal Racking system Reply with quote

Mujician wrote:
Okay - I would like to keep different species next to each other in a rack. With boas and pythons I know this is a no-no!, but what about sand boas and leopard geckos? Currently, my two baby leos are sittin gon top of my sand boa rack and thought it would be possible to stick the tub un the shelves with the boas? Any thoughts?

made perfect sense to me!!!! can he shove his baby leos tubs on the shelves in the rack instead of on the top. they will be next to sand boas.

just make sure the sand boas cant get to them.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view the thread starters question could be taken/ be interpreted in different ways. But Ailurus seemed to think that it was intended that the animals were to be kept together. If Mujician chose not to clarify that the animals were not to be kept together, then Jstoud thread makes even more sense. Anyhow his response (Mujican) seems to me to be extremely rude !

Surely anyhow if animals are to be kept in different tubs then the risk of cross infection is likely to come from the keepers hands transfering disease ? So what real difference does it make if they are next together or if the geckos are on top of the rack !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: