Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How NOT to handle a grass snake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vipera27
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, i have a lot more respect for people who want to show the true behaviors of herps instead of giving a misguided view, especially of something as innocent as a grass snake.

I don't believe it is just forum hysteria, speaking from experience of working with both herps and the public, i know how videos especially from the infamous You Tube can fuel people's fears. It seems people prefer to reference things they have seen on there than use reliable sources such as forums or the advice of experienced herp keepers.

I'm sure the guy's sound and I'm not questioning his level of experience (although tailing a grass snake...? Laughing ) but i think he should have been a bit more aware of the example he was giving. And as previously mentioned he should have thought of the copycats, the inexperienced people who are just after the fame and glory.

Natalie x
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vipera27 wrote:

... but i think he should have been a bit more aware of the example he was giving.

It is difficult to be aware of such if one is blinded by bravado whilst so desperately craving respect.

Vipera wrote:
..... as previously mentioned he should have thought of the copycats, the inexperienced people who are just after the fame and glory.

It would appear to me that fame & glory are precisely mr Waddums agenda.

Ben, if you are reading this, as Graeme (slippery 42) has already said earlier, you would command a great deal more respect by having the substance to admit your mistakes here on the forum. We all make them. If you were to "come clean" then it would indeed be the end of it, as has happened on this forum on more than one occasion. It would be "put to bed", subject to an immediate change in your methods.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to agree with you there peter, have you seen the vids of him with the rattlesnakes in the US, seems a bit of a pratt, also he tries to hard, he is trying to be Steve Irwin, and failing, also the vid where he jums in the river to catch a grass snakes is hilarious, he misses it rofl

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ailurus wrote:
also the vid where he jums in the river to catch a grass snakes is hilarious, he misses it rofl

I don't think there was anything there in the first place...more tongue in cheek... Rolling Eyes Laughing
Dragon Breeder
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have anything greatly important to say other than as a friend Ben is a cool bloke.
I'm just replying so i get notified when theres replies... i wanna see how this post turns out lol
*nosey git Laughing *

Erik
8.10.11 + 14 eggs Cape House Snake
0.2.1 Leopard Gecko
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Breeder wrote:
i don't have anything greatly important to say other than as a friend Ben is a cool bloke.

He would be a good deal "cooler" if he stopped tailing grass snakes and making influential (with a negative stance) videos for all to see.
www.btcvcymru.org
Dragon Breeder
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I'm not defending his videos or his Field her ping techniques, just his general personality.
i personally prefer to watch the animal in its natural surroundings where possible, & i wouldn't feck about with a venomous snake on a site where there are literally hundreds of impressionable little kids.
0.2.1 Leopard Gecko
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik,

I didn`t take your post as any form of defence. Wink

I have no issue with Ben`s character, having never met him.
The issue I have is regarding the manner in which he does what he does, and the amount of easily influenced young people that are viewing the videos, a proportion of which are sure to emulate his actions. The result of any copy cat behaviour will do nothing to improve the status of Britain`s snake population.
www.btcvcymru.org
Dragon Breeder
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, if a large number of say 13 year olds with no snake experience go out and start tailing adders and getting bitten - it will do the snake, which is already in decline, no justice whatsoever. It is bad enough there are still a large majority of people who will kill the snakes when they see them. It is just unfortunate that this kind of thing happens.

Erik
0.2.1 Leopard Gecko
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Reading the feedback on youtube from young impressionable and naieve youngsters who are consequently seeking Ben`s advice it is certainly a cause for concern. Ben has, to an extent, put himself in a position of an ambassador for the cause of British reptiles to an audience with very little relevant prior knowledge. As such, he really needs to change his ways.
www.btcvcymru.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: