Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How NOT to handle a grass snake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johonny
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herp_boi wrote:
he is on this forum btw Wink
I'm sure someone will go out immitating this bloke Rolling Eyes poor snakes Evil or Very Mad pm me his username Cool Very Happy
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether on the forum or not, there is absolutely no need to tail a grass snake like that, dangling the animal with no support. A very bad example to set people also as has already been stated. The last thing that anyone needs, particularly the animals themselves, is hoards of attention seeking instant snake experts abusing (which is exactly what tailing a grass snake like that uneccesarily is) native herps. Unfortunately, videos like this will inspire people to do just that. Someone will suffer an adder bite as a direct result of this. Adders will then recieve an even worse press than they currently do. Rolling Eyes
I have handled countless grass snakes over the years, and know of plenty of people that have done so a great deal more than I have. I am currently actively involved with a study of grass snake diving behaviour which entails regular surveying of a number of sites and the capture and recapture of certain individuals in order to retrieve information. This happens to be about as intrusive into the animals lives as it can get yet I have not ever recieved a single bite. Swinging an animal around by the tip of it`s fragile tail unneccesarily in the manner that this individual in the "video" does is nothing more than bravado and attention craving behaviour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ6TiPFcRm8&NR=1

The accompanying narration is far from accurate also. "Adders have no natural predators". Complete and utter nonsense! Hedgehogs have been documented as predators of the european adder. I have also seen with my own eyes corvids killing an adder on two occasions. I very much doubt that the list ends there.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Rolling Eyes Should see the adder and gopher snake ones...think he has been watching to many Austrailian presenters.. Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ6TiPFcRm8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElirdTv4F9k&feature=user

I love his demo of coughing hahaha Laughing Laughing wooo woooo pmsfl wooo Laughing Rolling Eyes

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
brettmarcwebb
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think he trying to get a job on the TV think he needs to work on it bit more thou lol Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
bats,
beared dragon,
loads of brids,
cat
and me two best frends
two dogs
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2585&PN=1

Laughing Laughing

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
King of Snake
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flinching from a grass snake?

Laughing

He evidently isn't a snake-keeper.

Predictable forum hysteria aside; I don't think the animal suffered too much from being tailed. I just hope he knows the difference between one of those and a British Adder.
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:
http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2585&PN=1

Laughing Laughing

Had to be done! Laughing If people insist on broadcasting their antics like so for all the world to see then they must expect feedback whether positive or negative.

I just hope that when he sees this he will mend his ways, and post a new video imploring people to NOT do as he does. He should stop doing so himself also, now.

Ben, perhaps you would like to comment on this yourself? Surely you must agree that to encourage people to do as you have by posting such videos for all to see is unwise and irresponsible. Please stop tailing harmless grass snakes.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King of Snake wrote:

Predictable forum hysteria aside; I don't think the animal suffered too much from being tailed. I just hope he knows the difference between one of those and a British Adder.

I don't think so either BUT the fact the video has 10'000 + views makes me think that some idiot will copy him with perhaps less care.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: grass snake idiot Reply with quote

If he does use the forum the best thing for him to do would be to make a public apology for being an idiot and then its over?

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video of him handling the juvenile adder is simply reckless, not impressed.

Jersey has some massive grass snakes, some well over 4 feet long and I have heard of specimens in the 5 foot range, and I have never even seen one angry, let alone strike at anything. Just shows how upset he managed to make it.

Surely we have moved on since the days of sensationalist herp stuff. I think it is far more impressive to get photos of snakes sitting still and allowing the intrusion, that is real skill. Molesting them in front of a camera in this manner is just for Kudos, and it appears even that wasn't achieved.

I'm pretty sure the attitude on camera was completely tongue in cheek but maybe I'm giving credit where it isn't due. Rolling Eyes

Please stop posting sh**e vids, or they will have to call it Idiottube.com

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: