Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new collard dude
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxxfrannyxxx
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: My new collard dude Reply with quote

HI
i just bought an adult male desert collard lizard from my pet store.
He is in a 45x45 exo terra.
There is a heat mat under the wood chips, the thermomitre says 23. It is alot warmer in the middle of the tank, where the heat pad is than where the thermometre is but he is still not as lively as in the shop.
The pet shop is getting in the bulb that i need in 3 days so we are going in 4 days. He is not eating.
Will he be ok untill the pet shop get some bulbs in?
If you want then i could post some pics of him nd his tank.
plzzz reply!
1 collared lizard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Terry-rhac.cil
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi can you post some pics?? urm does he have a UVB strip light because he needs one and also needs alot of heat 100f-110f, sometimes they dont eat till they settle in. but untill you have a UVB dont feed him anyways he needs that light to produce calcium and vit D3 also supplement his food with calcium powder and vitamin powder.

ill help further if you can tell me exactly what lighting you have in there Smile
hope he perks up im getting a pair of these little guys too Razz
xxxfrannyxxx
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

I don't av any lighting but if i get a night time red heat bulb when they get dem in would that give off uv?
The freaky guy in the pet shop said he'd be ok without uv but he also trapped a lizards head in the sliding door.
I tried posting pics but it said it was an empty file but i will try again.
1 collared lizard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cosmo
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, Had a little experience with these guys so heres what i would recommend.

Viv - I wood go for a wooden viv at least 3 ft by 1 1/2 ft (Glass can be very tricky to maintain heat and since these lizards are very active need room to move) I would decorate moderately leaving allot of floor room.

Temp - Day 75 - 90F
Night 70 - 85F
Basking 95 - 104F

Substrate - I would use sand

As for UV. It is very important with these lizards and I was always recommended using an 8% to 10% tube.
xxxfrannyxxx
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

thanx but im only 11 and that viv was pretty expensive!
It is decorated a bit like you said.
thanx for the temps but i can not get any where near them until the pet shop get a uv night heat bulb in. Shocked
1 collared lizard.
Terry-rhac.cil
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the UV light will be a long tube (like from fish tanks) and will be connected to a starter unit (this may cost around £30-£40 but is a must).

There should be some under tank heating such as a heat mat (between £15-£20)

and on top of this get a 40w bulb of any description get one from boyes or wilkinsons or something (around £2-£3)

these guys require the uv tube at around 8% a pet shop owner will know what you mean. they must have this or they get ill and die.

good luck mate its an expensive hobby but its worth it Wink
Terry-rhac.cil
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh almost forgot you can get UV comact bulbs instead of strip lights they are cheaper. they tend to look a little like the energy saver ones but curlier a pet shop would know what it was

again good luck!!
xxxfrannyxxx
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

RIght
i bought a 100 wot bulb because the heat mat was'nt giving off much and the bulb also gives of alot of uv.
He immediatly perked up and ate 3 crickets. I'm so prout of him lol.
Razz he seems so happy.
tomorow i am going again to get anothe thermometer and some multi witamin.
Oh ye nd i forgot i also got him some mopai wood to bask on.
thanxx
1 collared lizard.
Johelian
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, unless you bought a 100W mercury vapour bulb (which would have cost upwards of £40...and I dont even know if shops stock the lower-wattage MVBs) the bulb wont be giving off UVB, which is what reptiles need. It may be giving off UVA, but thats only for visual stimulation. He will be more active now because you're giving him more heat and light - but he wont be able to metabolise calcium without the UVB.

Be careful with that high wattage bulb in such a small cage...during the summer when the house gets warmer your cage may well get too hot for your lizard.

Might be an idea to Google up some caresheets...heres one I found in a hurry: http://rainforestreptiles.co.uk/collaredcare.html. Good luck!
xxxfrannyxxx
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx
ill see if i can get a uv bulb too then but how much do the ones that look like energy saving light bulbs cost???
And dont worry because the high wotage bulb seems to be letting out just the right amount.

If the uv light is more than £6 than i cant get one cuz my stupid mum ses he doesnt need one.
also he looks very fat. Is this normal for a male or do i need to take him to the vets or have i just fed him too many crickets???
1 collared lizard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: