Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FBT Tadpoles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WelshBoa
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: FBT Tadpoles? Reply with quote

My fire bellied toads have been calling for weeks/months etc. Today was looking in the tank and I saw three or four translucent tiny tadpoles which had black stomachs.....sort of like baby guppies.

I thought the spawn would be there for a few weeks before the tadpoles appeared and I cant see how I could have missed a load of spawn.....although the tank is well planted so there is a chance it could have been under one of the plants pads.

I had two tiny shrimp in there (by accident as thought tank had been emptied when put toads in and they have never bothered the adult toads although I accept they should not really be in there ) and am wondering whether it could be shrimp babies although they look totally un-crustacean.

Do I need to remove these babies now for fear of them being eaten and does the water need aereating if so and kept at a certain temp?

I worrry some may have been sucked into the pump......has anyone got any pics of fire bellied toad tadpoles?
WelshBoa
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well seperated them out now - took some catching but got them in their own tank. Only about 9 or 10 I found in total, thought there may be a few more but was unexpected anyway.

Currently got the water at 74f but read on one website that eggs should be placed in water of around 64-66 and it doesnt make any mention of increasing this temperature once they turn to tadpoles.

Does anyone know from their experience ideal conditions etc?

Many Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: