Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rat Rack problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam1979
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Rat Rack problem Reply with quote

Hi all. I have always fed my rats in my rat rack pig chow, just thrown in, but am getting loads of waste so I have decided to try feeding them dog food in a hopper so they eat through the mesh, but none of my rats seem to be eating anything. Is it just a fact of they are not used to it and will eat from there when they are hungry, or is it to late to introduce this 'new method' to my adults???

Many thanks

Adam
Herpquest
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If waste is the only reason for changing, try using 'sow rolls' instead. they are made from the same content but are larger, so won't pass through the mesh.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try mixing the pig chow and dog biscuit and gradually reduce the amount of pig chow that being said rats normally eat anything Confused

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
adam1979
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have changed them over to Dr. Johns Silver and they seem to be trying to eat it through the mesh now, so hopefully they will get the hang of it soon.

The other issue that I have is all my rats seem to be getting the sneezes and runny noses and they seem to be getting all red around their eyes. I am cleaning them every couple of days and they have constant fresh water and food. They are being kept in an outbuilding which gets a little bit cold but nothing major. I am keeping them on Dust extracted pine shavings. What could be the causes of this??

Many thanks

Adam
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that rats will eat from any place in my shed and any food offered!!!

I cant understand why yours would not feed

Confused

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that Adam, I'm using the same dog food and soft wood shavings as well, and ours have been sneezing and snuffling a bit, we're also dosing ours with Pro Biotic in their water bottles once a fortnight, and they live in a shed outside.

Can anyone shed any light on the sniffles issues?

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
toyah
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam1979 wrote:
The other issue that I have is all my rats seem to be getting the sneezes and runny noses and they seem to be getting all red around their eyes. I am cleaning them every couple of days and they have constant fresh water and food. They are being kept in an outbuilding which gets a little bit cold but nothing major. I am keeping them on Dust extracted pine shavings. What could be the causes of this??

The cause of this is most likely to be dust extracted pine shavings Wink Some rats can seem okay with them, but the phenols in pine will cause problems, as well as even the dust extracted shavings containing a fair amount of dust as the shavings are broken up.

Try moving them onto a different substrate - many people use cardboard horse bedding (BedXcel is one brand, but there are many others), or a recycled paper type bedding (I use megazorb for all mine). You will notice a difference ...
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We feed ours Dr John's Silver, never had a problem in any not eating it plus there is NO wastage.

No matter what size pig rolls or sow weaner pencils we used they would always just chew it to dust and it would mount up as waste in the cage Sad

As for sneezing etc, as toyah say's switch bedding Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: