Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fans for incubators.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon_g
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bri. wrote:
Just took an old PC that we had in the shed apart. There are so many wires coming out of the power supply I wouldn't know where to start !!! Did manage to salvage the fans though Very Happy

Think I'll stick with my idea of just using a 12V mains power supply and fit a female plug onto the cable for the fan.

Ahhh good point...with the power supply you first of all have to close the open circuit that is normally connected to the on/off switch. Then figure out which ones are the 12v leads...its easy after that.

Do you have any pictures of the set up?

Sometimes you have to reposition the fans to get an even temperature in all the incubator.

Sounds good !!

http://www.worldwidefauna.com

Exporters from Indonesia, You have tried the rest now try the best!!

http://worldwidefauna.com/index.php?cPath=52_22

http://www.ecoterrariumsupply.com/
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Now I just need to get your fridge for you to install it into Bri Laughing I have to admit I cheated rather slightly, I happen to have 2 x 230watt/volt (always confuse the two) that came out of a couple of Hovabators I have, one is installed in the quickly thrown together conti bator and is doing a grand job, I just wired it into a connector block and then stuck a cable and plug out the other end and plugged it in. Have to say my homemade jobbie is a damn sight more stable than the hovabators Laughing When I build the monster bator double door drinks fridge I plan to use both of these fans, on will go at the top to suck the air through and the other will go at the bottom blow the air up, and I will install a full baffle system behind them for the heating, this way the hot air that rises will get sucked out of the main area and pushed against the heating area then the bottom fan will suck the warm air out of the heating section and push it back up again. In theory this will be rediculously stable with all the other little tweaks applied and should prevent any hot/cold spots, so the entire system should sit at exactly the pre-set temperature. I do rather like the idea of using a dimming switch though to be able to control the speed the fans turn at. So glad also we have an electrician in the family that way he can give me precise instructions and the other half won't be able to almost fry himself for the 3rd time!! He's not allowed sharp objects either now, or up ladders Rolling Eyes Laughing

Oh god I've droned again Embarassed

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Claire.
Now that was my next question...how to fit the fans in relation to the heat mat and how to ensure adequate heat circulation.

I'd intended mounting the heat mat against the back wall. Over this fitting a wooden panel with an inch or two gap between the wood and the mat. The wooden panel would hold the fans, one at the top and one at the bottom. Hot air rises, so had intended the sucking fan to be at the top and the blowing one at the bottom.

But how to fit the panel without damaging the fridge ? I'd considered a couple of battens glued into place with no more nails, and then fitting the panel to these. The battens should provide the spacing required between the heat mat and the wooden panel. The heat mat will heat the air in this space, and the fans will circulate it around the main body of the fridge.

OK, when did I lose everyone with all my waffling ????
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood that perfectly Bri Very Happy I would also suggest maybe putting a piano hinge on the one side so that you would be able to get to the heatmat just in case of any issues Wink I was planning on doing this on the side of mine, and possibly even on the outside, so basically I would build the baffle chamber down the side and put holes through into the unit itself, thus saving some space on the inside of the bator and making the workings easy to get to just in case anything needed adjusting. The fans would be mounted over or in the holes and sealed with silicon. I can then mount all the thermostats and controls on the outside of the baffle and keep all the cables neat and tidy (I hope). I may even install a low wattage light inside just so that viewing the eggs is easier, I get fed up of winding the torch all the time at the moment Laughing

I'll get in touch with the yard again this week and see if there are any developments on the fridge front, as things are getting a LITTLE desperate at this end now, and I need to get the new bator built and calibrated!!

Claire
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you insulate the box on the outside, or rely on the thickness of the wood to prevent the air cooling or heat passing through into the outside air ?

As to the light, why not disable the switch that turns the fridge light on when you open the door. Wouldn't that mean the light is permanently on ?

OK, next one. What about switching the fans off when you open the door ? You don't want all that warm air being pumped out by the fans. What about a switch in reverse of the fridge light ? While the door is closed the circuit is complete. When it is open the circuit is broken. OR, just having a switch on the outside that you can throw when you want to open the door ?
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success !!!

Cut one wire, fit cable grips to both the cut ends and then fit a micro reed switch. Works perfectly. The fans run when the switch is pressed down and cut off when you let it go Very Happy

Problem solved.....next !!!
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for your next trick world peace and this weeks lottery numbers Laughing

Now you just need to test it in a fridge, and on that subject I should be going down to organise them tomorrow, apparently they have 6 put aside for me to choose the ones I want Very Happy I just need to negotiate with the guy with the transit to get them back here Wink

Anyway, I’ll get to answering other questions ASAP only I’m currently have to type everything in word as I can’t get the forum page to stay stable Evil or Very Mad

Claire
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did worldast week and no one noticed Rolling Eyes I'm going to try world domination next, much more interesting !!!

On the subject of the fans...the next step is to add a potentiometer to the circuit and see if I can regulate the rate of air flow.
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhhmmm just tried a 1K mini potentiometer that I had from another project. Don't think I had much success if the smell of burning and smoke was any thing to go by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: