Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK shows too many ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you answer. It is quite possible that somebody who for example has a reptile shop with a large turnover, more than enough to need to reegister for VAT could be making a loss, or have a very small income. I can tell you from personal experience that is is quite incredible all the bill/costs you have, and how they add up. Rent/ business rates, insurance pet shop licenses, staff costs. All the sort of things private hobbyists do not have to worry about. It is quite feasable that for example a self employed plumber could have a income of 50-100k per year from that, but might also sell 10k's worth of ball pythons without all the costs a shop would have. He/she wouldn't need to register for VAT but probably should register this as taxable income but probably wouldn't. This person could be making more money than somebody with 100,200,300k's worth of shop turnover (not profit). Though of course the pythons would not be their main income, "just a hobby".

I am not critizing your answer, just saying it isn't all that simple deciding who shouldn't be allowed to have tables at british shows. Maybe the societies (who have shows) need to get together and try to come up with a definition ?
kingsnake
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: uk shows Reply with quote

You're right it isn't easy. Which makes me wonder how the government are going to define a "commercial breeder"?!
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the problem is that an "anti" could cause a problem, if they were monitoring a show, and somebody made it pretty obvious that they were a "professional". For example if they handed out business cards for their shop !

But "theoretically" would it be a problem if a trader were discreet ?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sure that a Trader was defined as someone who has a pet shop license.

I must admit it is pretty stupid whatever way you look at it, after all what difference does it make to the animal if they are being sold be a 'professional trader' or an amatuer hobbyist breeder, just so long as they are sold responsibly.

I must admit I don't think ANY wildcaught should be sold at the shows (which I know is now in the reptile communities our T&C's of running a show).

As for the original question "are there too many shows?" No, I don't believe so. What I do believe is that not enough is done to promote and attract people to these shows though.

I will try to attend most UK shows this year, IHS Doncaster / Ware in June / July, ERAC in Basildon and of course the BRAS @ Barking.

It's a great chance to meet everyone and talk all things reptile related Laughing

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
watts501
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott, u going to the june donny one?? with u have any crested?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on going, and will probably have a max of TEN cresteds to take, all unsexed youngsters.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
James
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, just wondering if you will be attending the kent reptile show in maidstone at the end of august? might be a good time to pic up another royal if you are Very Happy
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know any details about the Kent show Embarassed When, where & who's running it? Laughing

If I can, I'll be there Wink

mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what you say Scott. But I know of a rodent breeder (both for frozen feeders and pets) that only sells to the trade. He told me to sell to the public he then needs a pet shop license, which he has not got. But he does not need one (a PSL) to sell ONLY to the trade, So he could have a table ? Or possibly even a some reptile wholesalers with turnovers into the millions per year ? If your right then that would be crazy.

Scott, are you going to have tables at these shows ?
jav07
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people have discussed having a big show in this country for a while now but its all down to regs and making sure it is all legal and also is it viable as all the smaller shows are criticized,so getting people to support is a major problem.
but it is still being mulled over so to speak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: