Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My snake is Eating himself???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scorpion251067
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: My snake is Eating himself??? Reply with quote

I would just like to thank every one that has taken the time to reply to this tread, all the suggestions are so appreciated. So to update everyone, I fed Alf on Sunday 18Th, with 2 extra large mice, I then offered him a 3rd, which to my amazement he took with a whacking strike, but after about 45 minutes, he gave up, I think he was totally full, so he regurgitated the 3rd mouse, since he was fed, he hasn't once tried to bite or eat himself, he has bitten my son again, and is a pleasure to handle now, but it is early days yet, but for a while, I will offer him food weekly, then slowly go to fortnightly, once I get into a routine with him, hopefully this will be the end to him attacking himself, as it isn't a nice sight not really, it was so sad to see him doing this to himself, I just have to remember he has been basically on his own for the last 9 years, which is sad to think, but now he will have a very active life (gradually) and a view, as he didn't have that before hand bless him, big change to his life no doubt. Again, thank you all for your support, it's great to know I can come on here and get advice from experienced handler. Thank you .. Lesley xxx
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its good to know he will have company and a good life with people who care. well done. fingers crossed.
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: My snake is Eating himself??? Reply with quote

Asked the vet today about Alf, she said that he must be in some internal pain, as the only reason he would attack himself is due to something wrong inside, so.. looks like he will have to be looked at by the vet, not having much luck with my pets of late, my chameleon has an eye problem which is being operated on Wednesday, but my snake, well the vet said it maybe bad news as he has been doing this for some time.. we shall see thanks everyone
jimmy.on
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us up to date please. hope its not as bad as it sounds.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about the vets, hope it isnt bad news and as said by others keep us posted.
scorpion251067
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: My snake is Eating himself??? Reply with quote

Last night whilst watching TV, Alf was moving around his Viv rapidly, I kept watching him, he looked frantic, he was banging on the glass quite hard, so I was about to get him out to try and calm him, when, smash, he hit the glass with some force and the glass smashed to the floor luckily he was totally unharmed, checked over thoroughly no marks at all on him, but it's such a worry, we have replace the glass with perspex now, to avoid this happening again, and next time could be devastating, I have phone the previous owner, but not much help there at all, she paid no attention to him at all so wouldn't had noticed him going mad like he does. Pain in the A**e this being a bank holiday, as I really want to get him to see Kate, my vet just have to keep him as calm as I can until Tuesday. My husband as been keeping Boa's for a while and what a difference these snakes are, still have a lot to learn. Alf hasn't tried to eat his tail for a while, but still grabs his mid body everyday, more in the evening than in the morning. Hope I can get some answers and resolve this issue, I hate to think he may be in pain, it's not nice to watch at all makes you feel so helpless
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anything actually in the viv which could be causing him to maybe panic. its really unusual for them to actually break glass. i have had the boa strike glass trying to grab one of the cats on feeding night, but its never actually broken. what temps etc do you keep him at? i know with my corns a slight increase can make them go into energy mode.
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: My snake is Eating himself??? Reply with quote

Normal temp 84 and hot spot between 90-92, have turned heating off at the moment. Took Alf out into the garden earlier, he loved it, had all the room he could ask for, all gravel. Took some pictures of his tail end but not quite clear enough, measured how much tail he gets into his mouth and its near on 10" up to where the marks/scars are on his tail..hope the pictures will show some detail.
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My snake is Eating himself??? Reply with quote

[quote="scorpion251067"]Normal temp 84 and hot spot between 90-92, have turned heating off at the moment. Took Alf out into the garden earlier, he loved it, had all the room he could ask for, all gravel. Took some pictures of his tail end but not quite clear enough, measured how much tail he gets into his mouth and its near on 10" up to where the marks/scars are on his tail..hope the pictures will show some detail.

hot spot of between 80-85. cool spot around 70-75. try this and see if it helps. its just he seems happy enough when outside his viv, and the hot end temps are a bit high. as i said if my corns temps climb upwards it seems to send them a bit do lally until i fix them then they calm down.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/514.html

got some info on here. and temps do seem a bit high. may be clutching at straws but every little helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: