Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Californian King Snake
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scorpion251067
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Californian King Snake Reply with quote

I have two Californian King snakes, one is really content and happy, the other tries to eat itself, it had 6/7" of it's tail down its throat, then when he regurgitates his tail he then bites himself and holds on for ages??? I don't know why it does this, is this normal? I have only had these snakes for a week, and noticed that the tail wasn't as clean looking as the rest of the body, they are both around 10 years old. I think it has been doing this to himself for a while going by the marks on the tail, is there anything I can do to stop this? is this normal? He can be handled even whilst biting himself, he was last fed Saturday 10th May 2008 with two medium sized mice, he has a bowl of water in his Viv, heating, they are in separate Viv's as I know they cant be put together. Can anyone help Please? much appreciated xxx Lesley
jimmy.on
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other night i was feeding my 11 month old royal in a plastic box. she was coiled as she was eating and after the mouse had gone she carried on trying to eat her side. it wasn't just a grip her head was trying to walk her side in. i would crap myself if she started at the tail as i have seen photos of snakes killing themselves doing this. i would keep a close eye on him just in case. is it just when he is feeding he does this?
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Californian King Snake Reply with quote

No, he hasn't been fed since the 10th of May, he has just shed though, and wasn't doing this beforehand? Thanks for replying
jimmy.on
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought you would have had a response before this. i wish i could help but have never heard of a snake doing this on a regular basis. i am meeting a few snake breeders tomorrow and will ask them if they can shed light on your problem.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Probably a daft suggestion but would washing him off help?

dr del
jimmy.on
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as he has just shed i would have thought any scent would be off him, but it wouldn't do any harm. just a suggestion but do you think he is maybe hungry? i am trying to get hold of someone just now to see if he has any points that will help you. what part of the country are you in?
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got him there. he said to try giving him a good soak in the bath and try feeding him. hope this helps but at least its a start and maybe solve your problem. let me know how you get on.
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Californian King Snake Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies so appreciated. I have tried soaking him, but that was mainly to see if he would let go of himself, I live in Walderslade, Chatham Kent. I will try feeding him later today, and see what happens, he hasn't tried to eat himself today, not yet anyway, seems to do it more in the evening, that I have noticed. Anyway, I really do appreciate your help in this matter thank you. Lesley
jimmy.on
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would keep a very close eye on him just in case. if he does it again PM me and i will look further into it for you.
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Californian King Snake Reply with quote

I thought I would update you to my cannibal snake. Firstly a little back ground info... As I mentioned I have only had these snakes for a week, the person I got them from said she has had them for almost 10years, and she only fed them every 3 weeks, which seemed a long time but hey that was their routine. We fed them the next day after settling them in, and they both ate 2 medium sized mice, with ease. I asked the previous owner about the way Alf was eating himself, and she said that she had never seen it but I know it wasn't a recent thing by the scars on him. We fed him today with 2 extra large mice, which he ate one another the other, and now looks nice and fat and so far is content, hasn't tried to bite or swallow his tail as yet, so it looks like he was starving! BUT! we will see, I will watch him vigorously to see if he starts his antics again, but he looks very happy now, has settled, so lets hope this is what was causing him to do this to himself. Thank you so much for all your input really appreciate everything you have said, and the time you have taken. Will let you know if he starts biting himself again. Thank you. Lesley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: