Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meerkat breeders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awag
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Meerkat breeders Reply with quote

hey interested in aquiring 1-2 hand raised or realli tame meerkast for use in talks in early september. postin now cuz im off to africa for a month soon. also if any1 nos there care etc. can you post that. planning on keepin them in an indoor enclosure. anyeclosure pics will be great. or pm me. many thanks
adam Cool
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From all that I have seen and read about meercats just one on its own would not be suitable. They are animals that thrive in a community and need the companionship of others of their kind. Not sure if two together would be enough to keep them happy, hope that others can contribute - or of course google.

Sue
awag
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k thanx. ive tried google bt becus most sites r american n they r tryin to control imports of exotics they are mainly bloking/deleting all handy sites on them... any1 else? Question
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cardiffreptilecentre.co.uk/index.html

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen them advertised on this shops website http://www.viperandvine.com/index.html

they are not on there at the moment, but i suppose you could contact them and ask about availiabilty

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
awag
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah thanx guys!!!! dat roks... i emailed the first link b4 and they didnt email back! Evil or Very Mad but ill try the second 1 and probs d first 1 agen
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you get at least 4 of them, they are highly social and prone to getting very highly strung if you have less that 4 - 5 from what I know.

I would also not recommend keeping them to be honest if you are after a pet...

lovely animals though so understand why you would want them.
Jezz
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try www.pet-classifieds.co.uk
They frequently have hand reared ones for sale and the occasional adult.
Prices for hand reared babies are around £500-£800 on that site.
Tbh even the hand raised ones are skittish and nippy, you will never come across a 'really tame' or even 'tame' ones, they just never tame up well.

Good luck.

2.1.0 Python Regius
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.0.1 Lampropeltis getulus californiae
1.0.0 Pantherophis guttata guttata
0.1.0 Eublepharis macularius
0.1.0 Testudo hermanni
0.1.0 Grammostola rosea
Matt Lusty
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to get 1, then you would have to spend a lot of time bonding with it and making sure it is socially happy. If you do not do this, they can and will give you a nasty bite or even a scratch causing a deep laceration. I used to keep them. I had a pair in an outside setup. They were not tame, but hand social, which means they would feed from the hand, but not trusted to hold or pick up. Mine were kept with my prairie dogs and lived a very happy life. In the wild they will sometimes live with ground squirrels, so this setup is perfectly acceptable. You don't need to get more than 2. They live in pairs or groups. I would research getting hand tamed ones and making sure you get the right info.

I do know breeders who have kept them successfully inside, but I haven't had the experience with this. I personally think they should be kept outside. You will still be able to bond with them this way and there is no reason why you couldn't tame them. You will just have to work hard Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: