Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chytrid Swabbing Survey & Possible hybrid
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Chytrid Swabbing Survey & Possible hybrid Reply with quote

More along the lines of "Amphibians in the field" really! Smile

Last weekend was spent swabbing to identify any presence of chytridiomicosis as part of a national survey. We obtained a full quota of 30 swab samples at a beautiful wildlife pond in a privately owned garden. The pond`s owners were very nice people who have made a fantastic job of their garden pond which supports an impressive and sizeable population of both smooth and palmate newts as well as a healthy amount of dragonflies and damselflies which is always a good indicator of a flourishing wildlife pond.

The next day`s swabbing saw us with our disinfected and rinsed nets catching and swabbing another full quota of 30 amphibians. Once again the site was another private wildlife pond. The couple that own the property are lovely people and very helpful when it came to netting our quota of 30 amphibians, just as the people at the previous site were. The pond at the second site is in it`s seventh year and is flourishing. All three species of newt are resident in large numbers as well as the occasional frog. Dragonfly larvae were abundant also.

It was very faith restoring to meet two sets of people that were so dedicated to making their garden ponds so suitable for wildlife. This was plainly apparent when looking at the ponds. A great amount of thought has gone into the designing and planting of both ponds and the wildlife has appeared of it`s own accord. The fact that there was not a fish in sight at either pond also indicates the pond owner`s dedication to the cause. As pleasant a sight that goldfish may be drifting among the lilies, in a body of water the size of a garden pond, there is far less scope for amphibians and invertebrates to flourish. Both ponds were literally brimming with a rich diversity of wildlife, to a far greater degree than any fish pond would allow.

Below is a snap of a male palmate newt being swabbed prior to release.
Watch this space for the results of the survey.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41

Last edited by Peter Parrot on Mon May 19, 2008 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing some good work!!
And I have to say that the people owning the ponds deserve a thanks too.

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! I think garden ponds are a very underestimated wildlife habitat when set up and maintained properly.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep great work Pete, really interested in knowing the results.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will keep everyone posted Scott. Wink

It`s a pleasure to do such work, shame it has to be done though, and in all honesty I don`t hold out much hope for amphibians over the next 20 years. It`s not what I want to say but it is, unfortunately, my honest opinion. As has already been pointed out, the real good work has been done by the people that are creating the habitats such as the good people that own the two ponds I speak of at the beginning of this thread.

Below are a few more images snapped by my right hand man and volunteer, Brett, with his mobile phone. Brett is a man of the earth, not an academic, rather somebody with a good deal of time served out in the field, and valuable time at that. Before anybody comments on the Great Crested Newt images, Brett holds a current license which allows him to handle and photograph all of the protected species of reptile and amphibian in the British Isles, which obviously becomes necessary during survey work. He is typical of the few unsung heroes working to benefit wildlife for no payment. If he is not beside me planting broad leafed indigenous trees, then he is up to his waist in water planting reeds, or lying in a wet road with his arm down a drain retrieving a toad, or helping toads migrating across busy roads in the rain at night, or building artificial otter holts, or erecting bird and dormouse nest boxes, or assisting with surveys, or identifying populations of reptiles and amphibians for future study or in this instance, swabbing amphibians for vital research. Many people take a lot of credit for research work and conservation achievements or species action plans. If it was not for the volunteer work force of people such as Brett however, a great deal less would be achieved.

Below are snaps of some palmate and common newts in a tray after being swabbed. The animals are then observed for five minutes to confirm that all is as it should be, and then returned to where they came from. All work is done pondside. Also you will see a female Great crested newt, and a snap of the excellent wildlife pond that is the animal`s breeding ground.
www.btcvcymru.org
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Pete! crappy infection Mad

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belly shot of a female great crested newt whilst being swabbed, a male great crested newt in the tray, and a size comparison snap comprising of a male Smooth newt, female palmate newt and a female great crested. See if you can guess which is which! Smile
www.btcvcymru.org
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:
Great stuff Pete! crappy infection Mad

Cheers Paul Cool

I`m predicting a big die off of amphibians in the future. Sad I really would like to be proved wrong however!

At the pond that we swabbed the previous day which was also a fantastic wildlife resevoir, we encountered a male smooth newt that displayed certain features normally attributed to a male palmate newt. The male palmate newt typically has a slight, straight edged crest and a filament at the end of it`s tail. Male palmate newts also display webbing between the toes of the hind feet.

The male smooth newt normally has a slightly more prominant crest. It is not straight edged as in a palmate, rather the edge undulates in waves. A male smooth newt also displays fringes on the digits of it`s rear feet rather than webbing inbetween the toes.

This particular individual was at first glance a normal male smooth newt. On closer examination however, the animal displayed a crest that was the height of a smooth newt`s, but which was straight edged as in the case of a male palmate newt with very little or no trace of undulations. Also, this animal had more than the average amount of fringes on its toes which gave the appearance of webbing. Thirdly, the animal had a definate filament at the end of it`s tail. We popped the animal into a glass jar and prior to release, Brett snapped a few pics with his mobile. The filament is clearly visible at the end of the tail. Anybody that has experience of our indigenous newt species would at first glance identify the animal as a male smooth newt. Of the 30 plus animals which were encountered at this site, this was the only animal displaying this combination of features. There may well of course be more, as 30 animals is a mere fraction of the colony size.

Both palmate and smooth newts were present in good numbers at the site.

Anyone here have any similar experience of finding oddities such as this? If so, then I would be very interested to know about it.
www.btcvcymru.org
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed this first time round! Great account as always Peter, absolute credit to you guys in the field. Fantastic work and great observations as always! Cool

I'll have to look through my photos on my other computer with reference to the newt morphology, its been ages since I've had a close look at any in the wild, I've almost forgotten what they look like Embarassed Laughing

Keep the posts coming mate! Cool
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words James.

I`ll run this past a few people that have a far greater amount of experience of newt morphology than I have and see what their opinion is and report back. Wink

I`ve seen thousands of smooth and palmate newts over the years and not found an animal like this before.

The only oddities amongst wild British newts that I have encountered first hand previously have been occasional smooth newts displaying neotony. i.e; sexually mature animals that have retained external gills as in the case of an axolotyl for example.
www.btcvcymru.org

Last edited by Peter Parrot on Fri May 16, 2008 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: