Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAGING
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnC
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that you do not want your horses to eat green grass but don't understand the difference between grass cropped by the horse and grass cut by a lawn mower.
Jack
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for a start they have laminitus so the cant eat grass or it will just make it worse or even kill them
Lynne

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:
I can understand that you do not want your horses to eat green grass but don't understand the difference between grass cropped by the horse and grass cut by a lawn mower.

grass growing or even pulled is fine. for my lot only limited. grass cut by a mower begind to let off toxins, the horse eats the cuttings, the toxins grow in the horses gut, and you can guess the rest.

as i said, i wouldnt walk into someones house and feed the dog without asking. so i dont expect them to feed my horses when they dont know whats good for them and whats not. for example, when i moved them there i asked them not to give them titbits, as my lot bite when they start getting these. three weeks later the wife is moaning they have bitten her, and im getting bitten silly when i go in the field.

i asked what he knew about horses and he admitted nothing!!! he doesnt know laminitis, and feeding grass mowings can kill.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:

and they DO get grass, limited. one nearly died from laminitis caused by too much rich grass. i follow the advice of my vet in keeping them on this diet. because i keep them this way they can live in thier field quite happily. bring rich lush grass into the equation and i have ill ponies stuck in stables.
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanation Lynne, hope the man stops doing it now.
Lynne

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i hope so too john. but he is quite an arrogant man. we will see though. thankyou.
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt know there were horsey people on here! Luckily we have never had problems with laminitis, manage to keep ours on restricted grazing most of the year.

Doesnt it drive you mad when people feed them, we caught one bloke feeding ours dog biscuits once! It begs belief the stupidity of some people!

Send him a note from the vet with an estimated bill for treatment! lol
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnakeyBob wrote:
I didnt know there were horsey people on here! Luckily we have never had problems with laminitis, manage to keep ours on restricted grazing most of the year.

Doesnt it drive you mad when people feed them, we caught one bloke feeding ours dog biscuits once! It begs belief the stupidity of some people!

Send him a note from the vet with an estimated bill for treatment! lol

i was thinking about asking the vet to write a letter explaining, cause i really think he thinks im talking rubbish. he keeps shouting they need more grass, but when i see the grass going down, i start getting the big round bales of hay put in. now they came through the winter(living out)with more fat on them than when the winter started. so they must be getting enough. and i do have 3 laminitics, and the farmers wee pony is bad with it. this is the only way i can have them out and bot have to worry too much about it.
there are quite a few on with horses and ponies. bazzer has a lovely big guy.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, there are others here with equines. I don't have any horses or ponies, but instead four very big donkeys which I love very much. Great characters.

Good luck lynne with the laminitus and dealing with the moron.
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark68 wrote:
Yep, there are others here with equines. I don't have any horses or ponies, but instead four very big donkeys which I love very much. Great characters.

Good luck lynne with the laminitus and dealing with the moron.

thanks mark. i think we would like to see the donkeys!!! and everyones elses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: