Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viv size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brew
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Viv size Reply with quote

I'm due to pick a 3-4 month old panther from Lee in a few weeks, I will go into an Exo terra for around 4 months. In the mean time I'm going to build my own Viv for to house it in after that. I'm not 100% sure about the best size, I was planning to make it 3ft wide x 2ft deep by 4ft high. The top will be mesh and there will be a 3ft wide x 1ft high mesh strip on the front at the bottom, the remainder will be glass and wood. I could also put some vents in the back.
What are your thoughts on the size, is it a case of the bigger the better, or should I slightly reduce the width, depth, height?

Your thoughts as ever are welcomed.
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Viv size Reply with quote

Brew wrote:
I will go into an Exo terra for around 4 months.

That will be very difficult for you, sorry to hear that Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously though, that viv sounds great for an adult panther. I have my nosy be in a 3x2x4 ft viv. Although vivs can be smaller, he certainly benefits from the size and it provides a very good temperature gradient. If you have room for a viv like that then definitely build it! Very Happy

The ventilation all sounds good too by the way
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that McF, LMAO Laughing .... well I hope he grows quickly so I don't have to spend to long in the Exo Terra. Would you mind advising on the type/wattage basking lamp your using or would recommend.
Thanks for your advise.
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After your time spent in the exo terra Brew you will know just what a Cham will want hehe! Space! lol! Sounds fab. Post piccies! Fancy building me two?!

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 100W powersun Very Happy I sometimes fancy sitting underneath it...it's toasty Very Happy
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.

Lighting really needs to be done based on your set up I have found.. its no good putting a really hot bulb with a plant virtually touching it, a nice clear space works with a decent W bulb.

I use a 60w sunglow when its warm in the house and nothing at night, or a permenantly on 75w red bulb if its cold.

I also picked up a blue dark light 75w bulb and found that this actually generated more heat than the others by far, but it didnt look great.
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.

Lighting really needs to be done based on your set up I have found.. its no good putting a really hot bulb with a plant virtually touching it, a nice clear space works with a decent W bulb.

I use a 60w sunglow when its warm in the house and nothing at night, or a permenantly on 75w red bulb if its cold.

I also picked up a blue dark light 75w bulb and found that this actually generated more heat than the others by far, but it didnt look great.
Brew
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only concern with this size is the height, most heat lamps I see only seem to penetrate around 2 foot, is that going to cause me problems? Would I also be better off with 2 UV lights as opposed to just the one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: