Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

green lizards boscombe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolves121121
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: green lizards boscombe Reply with quote

hi any one been out looking for these guys yet. was thinking of making a trip down to see them. cheers marc
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were certainly a few there three years ago. I have seen western green lizards (L. bilineata) at the location that you refer to on two occasions. Both times were back in 2005 when I visited the area with the express purpose of finding them. I had visited previously on another three occassions however before I managed to locate them. I did discover Wall lizards (P. muralis) on my prior visits. These were far more apparent than the green lizards. The area in which both species could be found is known as Boscombe and Southbourne Overcliff and is in fact a nature reserve.

The few individual L.bilineata that I managed to see with my own eyes were living amongst a mixture of Gorse and Bramble scrub on higher ground above an area that was quite well populated with P. muralis. If you manage to find the wall lizards then you are in with a chance, just possibly, of seeing a green lizard or two. They are however a good deal more difficult to spot than the wall lizards despite their bright colouration. The animals that I spotted were in very thick cover of gorse and bramble. One animal was perched quite high and I witnessed it catch a bee of all things, which was visiting the gorse flowers.

Interestingly enough, the two colonies of "alien" species were only a few hundred metres away from the Herpetological Conservation Trust`s Bournemouth office in Christchutch road. Some people have attributed the Green lizard`s presence at Boscombe to them being late surviving, hitherto-overlooked natives although I think this to be unlikely.
They may well have been introduced accidentally from the Channel Islands, or the continent where they are numerous. An even more likely explanation is that they are dumped pets, much like in the case of red eared terrapins.

Chris Gleed Owens (HCT) own words regarding the colony;

Quote:
A green lizard population in Dorset is also thriving and has apparently spread along several
kilometres of cliffs and clifftops (Gleed-Owen 2004b). Populations have been reported in
recent decades on a railway embankment at Torquay and on the Lady’s Mile cliffs near
Dawlish in Devon (K. Corbett, pers. comm.), but neither has been confirmed. The veracity
and status of recently reported populations in Essex (J. Cranfield, pers. comm.) are also
unknown. The Isle of Wight population reportedly released in 1899 is presumed extinct
(Fitter 1959), but it is unlikely that sufficient survey has taken place to be certain. The
taxonomy of green lizards in England is uncertain, as central and west European green lizards
have now been split into two species (L. viridis and L. bilineata respectively). The
Bournemouth lizards appear to be L. bilineata (as in Jersey and the adjacent French coast)
because the juveniles have green rather than yellow throats (G. Diechsel, pers. comm.). The
name bilineata is misleading because adults of both species have two dorsolateral stripes.

(Taken from the English Nature report number 663, "Costed plans & options for herpetofauna surveillance & monitoring") http://www.narrs.org.uk/Documents/ENRR_663_Herpetofauna_surveillance_monitoring.pdf
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: