Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to place a probe on heat cable on a hatchling rack?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Where to place a probe on heat cable on a hatchling rack? Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone tell me where the probe for the pulse stat is supposed to go on heat cable on a hatchling rack?

My bottom level is keep a temp at around 82f and this is where I have my current hatchling, all the levels above are ranging from about 90f ish up tp about 120f Confused I have checked the actual heat of the cable on each level using a TN1 temperature probe.

Thanks for any assistance Smile

Claire

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Claire
I dont think it matters where you have the probe you are still going to get the increased temps on each level up you go because as you know heat rises. The two ways i can see you can combat that are to have a stat controlling only one or two levels with any excess cable you can go wider maybe across two racks. The other cheaper way would be to have more heat cable on the lower levels and less the higher you go, you will have to tweak this a few times to know how much you need on each level to give near constant temps across all levels, hope all that makes sense. Very Happy
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made perfect sense thanks Jas. We're running a 12m cable and it goes across 2 racks and covers about 5 levels, I think I'm going to try turning the pulse stat down and moving the probe up so that it's about 1/2 way up the levels and closer to the middle of the racks where they join, and I'll keep a VERY close eye on it, don't want to cook my little hatchling Smile

What temps so you keep your hatchlings at? I'm trying to keep the temp between 80f & 85f and the little one is on damn kitchen roll and has plenty of humidity, it's looking good so far, just need the other damn egg to hatch I'm sick of checking to see if it has Laughing

Claire
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hatchlings are grown on in trays that are 2 foot long and the rear 6 inches are heated to a hot spot of around 88/90 i also put in about 6 hides in each tray so they can choose there own temp gradient, i keep a maximum of 10 in these trays.

Each rack is 3 trays wide and 4 trays high, the bottom row has the heat cable run up and down along the back 4 times at 2 inches apart giving a total area of 6 inches, there is another rack on top of this one and the top row of that has the heat cable run up and down only twice, each rack has its own stat.
Hope this helps. Very Happy
Whats that saying Claire a watched kettle never boils. Laughing
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im taking the cable off. the temps are so varied up the length its not true. im going to use the 4ft by 6 inch heat mats each with thier own stat. i would rather that than sit and worry about temps.
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What make cable are you using ive never had that happen before?
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez the box is upstairs. its a red and yellow box. wait i will go look. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a repti heat cable. 3.5 metres. i asked the local shop what they used and they ordered me it. but, unless you get other better makes, its coming off. i have to use mats too to get some of the temps up. the mats are on the wall at back of rack not on top of the cable. cable is under tubs.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the cable I've got as well, can't find the box just now.

I think I have sorted my issue out now more or less, I've now got approximately a 1 degree variation between the bottom shelf and the ones above. I've put the pulse stat probe now on the 3rd shelf up and about half way across the two racks and that seems to be working so far. I have noticed though that about the first 1 1/2 metres of the cable doesn't get even warm never mind even hot. I wish I'd bought the other gardening cable now. Will definately do that next time.

Claire
snd reptiles
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my probes are taped to the heat cable so the cable is heated to what ever temps its set to on pulse stats i don't have the problem of it getting hotter in places i do the same with heat mats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: