Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone seen my cat? WARNING image may offend
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Off the wall! / It happens sometimes!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting photo, but how did the snake get the cat it doesnt look like there is enough of the snake to hang down and get it from the hand rail and its not possible for it to grab the snake and then climb up is it?
Unless of course the cat was jumping up to get at the snake Shocked
herp_boi
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reckon that he killed it and took it up there.
Btw jas that leapord gecko you sold to my mate big _adz is lovely!
Will you be attending the reptile show in august (kent)?
Thanks Nick
1.1 Varanus acanthurus
0.1 Python Regius
0.0.10 varanus acanthurus eggs. Very Happy
0.0.31 Heterodon nasicus eggs.
http://www.freewebs.com/njbherps/index.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I sodding hate cats, wish we had a few snakes like that living free in our garden. Might take care of all the annoying moggies we seem to have running around.

There was a story in our local rag ages and ages ago about a falconer whos eagle owl had killed someones pet cat when it came in their garden. When confronted by the owner the guy just told them that it was in the owls nature.

More power to snakes and eagles owl. Laughing
Drymarchon32
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I sodding hate cats, wish we had a few snakes like that living free in our garden.

No, don't hold back, tell us what you really think! : Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nice one, gave me a chuckle Smile

Al
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drymarchon32 wrote:
Quote:
I sodding hate cats, wish we had a few snakes like that living free in our garden.

No, don't hold back, tell us what you really think! : Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nice one, gave me a chuckle Smile

Al

When I was about 11-12 I kept asking my parents for a komodo dragon simply because I wanted it to eat the cats that came into the garden.

But then I did have some odd ideas when I was small. Rolling Eyes
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
what the hell made you think some people might like it???

Chill out Lynne. No doubt certain owners of pet rats would find a picture of a Royal eating a rodent upsetting if they chose to be blinkered about it. Rolling Eyes

Lynne wrote:
the only destructive species on earth are humans.

I am afraid that this statement is quite simply not true. Whilst I would agree that Homo sapiens is without doubt singularly the most destructive species on Earth we are most definately not the only one.

Alien species finding themselves on a differenet continent go either one way or the other. They either wilt and fade or they thrive. If they thrive, they commonly become very destructive.

For example;

Cane toads introduced to Australia from South America breed earlier than the indigenous amphibian species. Hence the cane toad tadpoles are able to begin their highly destructive path as soon as they hatch by feeding on the spawn of the native amphibians.

American mink are present on the British Isles due to fur farming escapees in addition to the blind ignorance of animal rights extremists and the ridiculous act of the deliberate release of thousands of these highly efficient and voracious predators. Being able to predate a wide range of species below water, below ground in tunnel systems, above ground and even in trees, American mink are a very destructive species here in Britain.

Introduced goats, pigs, cats, rats etc are also an incredibly destructive influence to the flora and fauna of islands. Round Island springs to mind as an instance of this where the bio diversity was severley affected. Unusually, in this instance the process was caught in time by Gerald Durrels efforts which included an eradication programme whch involved, amongst other things, the shooting of all the goats that had been introduced to the island and were denuding it of it`s plant life.

Feral and wandering pet domestic cats are a very destructive species, in more ways than one. Apart from the significant proportion of song birds, small mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates that they take out on an almost global scale, they also pollute the gene pool by interbreeding with the Scottish Wildcat here in the British Isles, not too far from you Lynne. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3659359.stm

The list goes on, and on. There are many destructive species on the planet. In almost every instance however, the species concerned are a threat due to mankinds interference in some shape or form.

Lynne wrote:
the cat has a leg free so the snake probably came of worse.

The cat has three legs free. This is due to the fact that the snake has released the majority of it`s coils after successful constriction of it`s prey and is preparing to position itself to swallow it`s meal. As the snake is quite obviously in good health and the cat is quite plainly dead, no, the snake most definately did not come off worse.

Lynne wrote:
and as the owner of 6 cats , none of whom go out of my garden, i find that picture disgusting.

The above image is certainly an interesting one and proves what a snake is capable of. I own two cats, snakes, rats, the list goes on. If I got upset everytime I saw an image of any animal doing what comes naturally however I doubt that I would have anytime left to do anything else. It would be no more logical to complain at the above picture than it would be to write in to the BBC if one were to view for example, a Secretary bird catching, killing and eating a snake on a wildlife documentary.

Jackie wisely added the warning to the post title which explained that the picture may offend certain people. This measure is only neccessary, (in my opinion admittedly, I do own two pet cats however!) due to the fact that the image involves a domesticated cat. This tends to induce a typically anthropomorphic response. I very much doubt that so high an instance of emotions such as "pity"would be displayed had the image displayed a non domesticated animal as the snake`s meal. The snake sees a thermal image of a suitably sized meal and responds to it, be it rat, rabbit, cat, fido or trixabelle! It is a perfectly natural occurence as far as the snake is concerned, far more natural than a snake consuming a defrosted meal of any shape or form.

Making a joke of the situation may well be distasteful for cat "lovers", admittedly. However, should the truth be hidden? No it shouldn`t.
As such the image itself is of scientific interest and should not be perceived as "disgusting". A far more disgusting image would be that of me for instance, bolting down my Sunday roast! Laughing
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
ghastly152
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Parrot wrote:

Lynne wrote:
the only destructive species on earth are humans.

I am afraid that this statement is quite simply not true. Whilst I would agree that Homo sapiens is without doubt singularly the most destructive species on Earth we are most definately not the only one.

Peter Parrot wrote:
Alien species finding themselves on a differenet continent go either one way or the other. They either wilt and fade or they thrive. If they thrive, they commonly become very destructive.

Yes but in all fairness Pete who transported the invasive species to different continents in the first place?

BTW hi pete nice to see you active again, hows the frogs doing?
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghastly152 wrote:

Yes but in all fairness Pete who transported the invasive species to different continents in the first place?

Hi Ghastly, good to see you too. Regarding who transported the invasive species, re-read my post again, or to save time , here is the relevant section again;

Peter Parrot wrote:

The list goes on, and on. There are many destructive species on the planet. In almost every instance however, the species concerned are a threat due to mankinds interference in some shape or form.

Just to reiterate, yes, mankind is without doubt the most destructive species on the planet. We are not however the ONLY destructive species on the planet.

The frogs are good ta. Wink
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Lynne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find this hilarious. i havent been on this for ages, and still im being dragged up, tbh peter, you wont find anyone any more 'chilled' than me. i dont sit here getting myself all hot and bothered you know. yes i have cats, and as long as its not one of mine hanging there, i really am not worried. i thought the guy who posted had geniunly lost his cat and had posted on the wrong thread, or probably i wouldnt have come on it.
and yes, i do feel pity for the rats and mice who have had to die to feed my snakes. and i feel bloody angry when the said rats and mice have done this and the bloody snakes wont eat them.
i feel the only folk getting hot and bothered here, are the folk who feel the need to keep dragging my name into it.
btw i just seen pics of a tegu eating a snake. did it bother me, no it didny.
oh and as for humans not being the MOST destructive animal on the planet, i beg to differ. look at the rainforests, the animals that have become extinct because of us, and the ozone layer. to name a few.
anyway, am away to chill. Cool
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Parrot wrote:
ghastly152 wrote:

Hi Ghastly, good to see you too. Regarding who transported the invasive species, re-read my post again, or to save time , here is the relevant section again;

Peter Parrot wrote:

Just to reiterate, yes, mankind is without doubt the most destructive species on the planet. We are not however the ONLY destructive species on the planet.

The frogs are good ta. Wink

Have to admit i did kind of skip over your post Embarassed , but to be honest i still feel the same way, Man is the catalyst that caused these animals to be put in an environment that they didnt belong, at which point the animals then do only what is natural to them, so in my view it is only Mankind that is destructive, i dont feel any blame can be placed at the animals door.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Off the wall! / It happens sometimes! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: