Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zakynthos Herps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry-rhac.cil
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Zakynthos Herps Reply with quote

Im going to Zakynthos in june and wondered if anyone knows what to expect in terms of fauna. I know of the loggerhead im lucky enough to work with an injured leggerhead at scarborough sealife center along with some other pretty cool animals like seals otters and humbolt penguins.

Just want a idea of what to expect in terms of Lizards and Inverts mostly my girfriend aint a snake fan so ill have to stay away from them lol
LeeWarren
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been to the island twice and didn't see many reptiles. The odd lizard here and there.

I was lucky enough to swim with a wild turtle for around 45 minutes until it disappeared. They are so grace-full when they swim. For me it was the highlight of the holiday and a great memory.

Bit of advice if you want to spot a turtle, go about 100 metres out on a pedalo about 3 or 4pm. I did this every day for 4 days and didn't come across one until the 5th or 6th day.
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've swam with turtles there too...if you rent a speedboat you can make your way over to turtle island. It won't guarantee seeing them Laughing but we did see two on the way out (about a ten minute trip - you can see it from the beach its just the boats are so dam slow!) and one on the way back. The females also lay their eggs on there so it was quite interesting hearing about it. Oh and its nice and lively post-beach/turtle swimming Shocked Laughing
Terry-rhac.cil
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im about the biggest sea turtle fanatic in the world i work with a brain damaged one and ive swam with 3 wild ones before. My holiday was picked for the end of june beginning of july which is egg laying season. wanna get some pics of them nesting, its the biggest reason im going. Im expecting a few gecko's but i was just wondering if anyone knows of anything really cool?

Thanks for replys guys Smile
alastair
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you like sea turtles try going to sharm el sheikh in the red sea. ive been a few times and seen turtles every day, sometimes practically every dive.
0.1 royals owned by mikey
jamie_s
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i went to zante i didnt see any of the sea turtles but did see some torts scrambling about in the road side shrubbery
Terry-rhac.cil
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im expecting some small gecko sp. maybe some cool inverts i found some small mantids in turkey so hopefully find some more in greec. Torts sound cool found some of those in greece aswell.

Im trying to find a species list for th island there must be on lol i dont believe its undocumented.
uroplatus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went there about 5 years ago, I saw house geckos (Hemidactylus sp.), Green lizards (Lacerta sp. probably viridis) slow worms (Anguis fragilis), loads of mantids, grasshopers and other cool insects but I didn't see any turtles I think we were too north on the island we were at Alykes.
R. ciliatus 6:16:3, R. chahoua 3:3, R. auriculatus 1:5, R. Sarasinorum 2.2 R. leachianus leachianus 1:1,
U. henkeli 1:0, and other reptiles...
www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
Terry-rhac.cil
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye thats to north they are found arounf laganas and kalamaki. im not to fussed if i dont see any coz i work with one but would be cool. i hope i see some other reptiles tho.
Big_ads
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been there once and you HAVE to swim with the turtles
i personally just rented a pedal boat and went out and saw some that would proberbly be the cheapest option.
theres a few lizards about.
1.1 corn snakes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: