Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

starter insect
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jen1302
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Starter Reply with quote

What about a Tailless Whip scorpion you can hold them but can be fast and rarely pinch prefer to run..

Also found on youtube for a more detail on them as a owner myself.[/img]
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant recommend mantis enough they are superb to keep and very interesting to watch, they require fairly minimal care and will solve your wasp problem Smile

I have kept pyhlocranus paradoxia (ghost mantis), orchid mantits, giant asian, chineese, hiredula membranacia, and sphrogoro mantis (cant spell this one).

Only ever 3 - 4 species at a time though.

I had the ghosts in a 36inch planted aquarium in which they did really well (ghost can be mixed as they rarely canabilise each other DONT try this with other species) only 1 of them alive still now due to old age and a desease of some sorts.

My orchid mantis has had the last 8 months in a 48 inch aquarium with plants and millipedes and has done very well.. she died two weeks ago which was a real shame (but she was old).

this site that was recommeneded looks excellent and I would highly advise using them and getting their bug bottle which looks great!

I will be using them myself when I next get the urge
Lynne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the orchid mantis. how much harder are they to keep, and how long do they live? i looked at those jars and they look great too.
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine all all over a year old now but have started going very brittle and never move at all anymore..

the orchid mantis should have quite high temps and gut loaded food, however I did find that it did very well at room temperature and was happy to eat locusts and crickets which I have been told they will never eat even in captivity.

I will be getting some more orchid mantis but plan on having a proper set up for them with a large number of orchids and bromiads, but its not high on my list right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: