Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water supply for feeder mice cages
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie_s
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah john is a top guy and his shop is 2 minutes from my house Laughing
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many cages can you run off a system, I really want to switch over to tank fed water drippers but worry about the flooding.

I've no idea how many bottles I have but I know it takes over 3 hours to rinse and replace them all.....THREE times a week Shocked Sad

Anyone any photos and practical tips on running the system?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott you could always make your own Laughing
jamie_s
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know john was supplying a large rodent breeder with vast ammounts of auto systems so they must be able to run a fair few boxes in a single system.i was upto about 24 boxes of mice on my setup and it managed that really easily,i didnt have any trouble with the variflow valves flooding either Wink
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water pressure is going to be your biggest problem. I run all the cages on one side of my chinchilla unit from the water supply that is fitted in the roof of the garage. The higher you have the storage tank the greater the water pressure in the cages in the bottom row of your rack. I've found that in my set-up these valves tend to leak, so I've gone back to water bottles for these and sealed off the drinking valves.
If you run the main pipe in a figure S you have fewer dead areas where water can just sit and go stagnant. You can also fit taps in the tubing to shut off certain areas if you do get leaks.
The black tubing prevents algae build up in the pies as well.
You will need to decontaminate the lines every so often. I do mine twice a year. Dry the lines out, flush warm Miltons solution through it (disconnect the drinking valves to prevent the rodents drinking). Allow this to stand for a while, then flush it through. Flush with clean water until all the Miltons is cleaned out and then connect back up to your header tank.

I've set up a few systems for people over the years since I first imported all the gear from the States (before John imported his stock from Edstrom ). It isn't that difficult. Have a look on my own site under "Watering systems". Just about everything you need to know is on there.

You can connect it all up to your mains water system as well, but make sure you fit a non-return valve to prevent water getting back into your drinking water.
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered something (having looked back at my own site !!!), Edstrom have another supplier in the UK :

Quality Pet Supplies in Kent now stock their valves and can be contacted on 01622 721975, ask for Chris Fuller
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Edstrom valves since setting up my multimammate rack nearly two years ago.
http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4261&highlight=

Very good system.

Scott, I have had occasional losses, (Maybe 5 cages in 2 years) but overall the convenience really outways a few losses. My rodents are kept at my Mothers house, so do not get daily attention. With a daily inspection I would not have had any losses. I think Frank Retes incorporates a drain system in his custom rodent racks, that even overcomes this problem. Cages have a drain hole(protected with stainless washer), a simple gutter under the hole to direct water away is all that is needed.

Saves soooo much time and I have not lost any rodents through lack of water,which happened more frequently in warm spells than I would have imagined.

As Bri said, for lab cages drill a hole in the back of the cage, glue a stainless steel washer on the inside to stop chewing. This is the recommended method by NKP!

Only just saw your responce to my original post Bri, I am a little erratic in checking the forums!! Even with import tax, cost was only £4 per cage.Thanks for the tips!! I only used half of the parts I ordered so haven't needed the spares...yet!!!

I would never go back to bottles...NEVER.

Cheers

Mark
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mwoxy wrote:

As Bri said, for lab cages drill a hole in the back of the cage, glue a stainless steel washer on the inside to stop chewing. This is the recommended method by NKP!

This is for the water nozzle entry....should really read what I type first!!!

Cheers

Mark
jon_g
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automatic watering saves loads of time,

We use it here for the supply we just put sealed buckets on top of the racks this produces enough pressure for water to flow.

If you are worried about flooding you can design the hole in the back of the cages so its just big enough for the rats to get their noses through and the nipple is outside the cage (nkp use this design on their pre-made racking).

Edstrom do have a supplier in the Uk, if you are interested please pm me as he would not want his contact details online.

http://www.worldwidefauna.com

Exporters from Indonesia, You have tried the rest now try the best!!

http://worldwidefauna.com/index.php?cPath=52_22

http://www.ecoterrariumsupply.com/
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, drop me a pm on that, I really fancy switching over, just not sure I can aford to do the whole rodent room.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: