Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very Large Viv/Enclosure Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salvator
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Very Large Viv/Enclosure Help Reply with quote

I've drawn up the plans for a 10ft viv for a water monitor and was wondering if anyone else that had built a similar viv has any advice or pointers.
I'll be using a t5 unit to light it but not sure what to use for heat. A number of 250w ceramics for basking spots but will probably need something to increase the ambient air temp.
Works starting on it tomorrow and any help will be appreciated.
arch
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi what will you be making it out of, and what are the dimensions?
ive made a large viv for me roughneck and now want to expand!!!!
not to sure what i need to do about temps but ive had probs heating the lower half without over heating the top.
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Very Large Viv/Enclosure Help Reply with quote

salvator wrote:
I've drawn up the plans for a 10ft viv for a water monitor and was wondering if anyone else that had built a similar viv has any advice or pointers.
I'll be using a t5 unit to light it but not sure what to use for heat. A number of 250w ceramics for basking spots but will probably need something to increase the ambient air temp.
Works starting on it tomorrow and any help will be appreciated.

will regards to the heating if it was me i would look at the bigger picture and perhaps use something like a room panel heater. cheaper to run and has a bigger surface area

just any idea
arthur cooke
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using an udersoil cable heater, and a mercury vapour lamp, 150w flood. Depends on it's height though, they work well up to about 5 ft, if you have them inside then you'll need ventalation.
cheers arthur
johne.ev
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What height is the viv? i had a 8x4x4 which housed an Argus monitor. i used a bank (three in a line over basking spot) consisting of a 160 watt powersun & two 50 watt halogens & a 250 watt ceramic on a stat. temps were great in the summer but had to up wattage in winter. my reptile room is my garage which is insulated & heated in winter, to approx 70f.
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I built a 10' x 4' x 4' viv for black and white tegus. I used 12mm ply. For me it was easier to screw the ply together to build the thing, and then 'retro-fit' a timber frame (2" x 2"). I then sealed with three coats of a tough finish varnish, and after that, siliconed all the joints. I used 4mm toughened glass for the front sliding doors. This is the first viv of this type that I have built. A couple of tips:

Toughened glass is expensive, but I very strongly recommend that you use it. I KNOW that my tegu would have smashed normal glass.

Varnish is not good enough for waterproofing. See my previous thread on this. I would suggest looking into pool paints, epoxy resin etc, or even tiling the bottom.

Cheers,
Mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: