Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breeding Locusts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martinb20
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Breeding Locusts? Reply with quote

right for a few months now i been using locusts as my main source of food for my lizards and I'm finding them really easy to keep hardly any of them die and they grow quick.

i was going to attempt to breed them and was wondering how easy is was and what are the Di's and dint's

whats the best substrate for the egg laying tub?

i currently ha vent been using a bulb for heat but i have been keeping them in my rack.

feeding them on weatbran and spring greens.

also Ive recently acquired a 2ft aquarium and was thinking of putting them in there (currently keeping them in a cricket keeper which i find really useful to feed them off because they go in the tubes.

Inspired Motive
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting thread on the subject for you to start with Cool

http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11958&highlight=breeding+locust

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
martinb20
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah thanks MJ Smile

Inspired Motive
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ajfr0ggy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive bred the migratory locust a bit. They're easy in some ways. But they do need alot of food. My garden has almost ran out of grass!!!
The desert locust (with yellowish nymphs) is much more available here, eats leafy greens, which are easier to get, but more expensive.

Keep them hot (30oC is good), Dry, well ventilated, and well fed. a deep moist pot of sand/soil for them to lay there eggs in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: