Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

multi mammates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie_s
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: multi mammates Reply with quote

i got myself a dollop of multi's the other day and ive got to say im really pleased with em up to now.i was just wondering how many actually keep them on here and how successfull they are at keeping them?any hints or tips would be appreciated,im feeding em dr johns and rabbit food and also providing hay as well,i reckon im gonna go and get em some millet too
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some, and they are lovely to keep. we started off with 5 females and one male, and now have loads of babies.

I feed Wagg mouse food, supplemented with fresh veg peelings and honey sticks as a treat. I have tried sawdust and the cat litter type substrate, along with shredded paper, and they're all good.

They make very good parents, and I've never seen any of them fighting. They can be nippy though, so I don't tend to handle them.
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers lousie Wink them of mine have made really little cosy nest's out of the hay,i felt like getting in it looked that comfy Laughing
Mandie
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 groups of them in different sized fish tanks, feed them on just about anything they just keep going lol.

Find they breed better in larger groups and less problems with babies as some take a liking to eating them. I use the males as feeders and leave the females in a family group with the male, once he's passed it I just collect all the babies and do a mix of the males to add new blood to each tank.

My only problem is their love of bottle top chewing I have loads of bottles without a top coz they eat around the rim so the water falls out.

toyah
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my multis more and more. There's only two reasons I don't just have multis (and no mice) - firstly, I love my mice too much, but more importantly with the corns especially, some snakes raised on multis will not eat fancy mice, and so I need to ensure all of mine eat both in order to sell them and be sure they'll eat in their new homes.

The big males (100-130g) are perfect for royals - in the future I imagine I will feed my royals purely on multis rather than rats.

Diet wise, I am going to be lazy and just paste from the article I wrote on multis recently for the NFRS:

My multis are fed a very similar diet to my fancy mice and rats - a modified Shunamite diet. I don't give them pasta as it just gets left. I have read that they are omnivorous, but I have noticed that given the choice, they will eat very little animal protein from dog food and concentrate on seeds, grains, cereals, and nuts. I have read that they enjoy hay, though it's not something I've given to my animals and they are thriving. Fresh fruit and vegetables are always appreciated, but sprays of millet are quite possibly their favourite thing in the world.

While breeding, I have attempted to give them extras as I would a lactating rat, but although a little bit of kale seems appreciated, scrambled egg and fresh cooked chicken apparently just isn't as nice as millet! They do need constant fresh water, although they don't seem to drink as much as mice or rats (which is probably most of the reason why they have no odour compared to rats).
jamie_s
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mandie Wink thats a lovely picwhereabout's in derbyshire are you from?
cheers toyah Wink thanks for the info
Mandie
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a small village just outside Swadlincote at present, I do have a habit of moving around a bit on account I'm an ex WRAF and no longer have dependent children so free to roam where I fancy lol.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had quite a few ticking over at one time but we cut the numbers down (apparently there were 'too productive' Confused ). One thing I would suggest adding Jamie is a piece of wood for them to chew, without it they seem happy to just chew food for fun. Mine would go through a 2ft 2"x2" piece of wood every month or two.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
jamie_s
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have multi's will travel is your way of life then mandie Laughing if ever you come north a bit and have any spares let me know Wink cheers for the wood tip scott,ill get em a bit to nibble on.i put em all an handfull of foreign finch seed mix today and they was on it like a rash
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to breed these, they were really nice to keep. I feed my normal mice "treats" such as endive, carrot and apple every week and they love it. I think it must improve them as food for the snakes. But from what I have read Veg and fruit is a MUST for multimammates. Mine used to eat lots of spring greens, carrots etc. I think veg is a natural large part of their diet. I also gave them bird seeds too which they loved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: