Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smallest roach available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm I'm not 100% sure I think lateralis I'll ask them for the definite Latin and post it... I don't know if his experience was a one off or not and I don't wanna scare monger but I'm not gonna even risk it.

I just started with firebrats I use fish tank (18x12x12) hot and dry 80-90 degrees in old money Laughing so abut 30 c. News paper and egg carton for substrate and slighty damp cotton wool for egglaying.. apparently they take ages to get going well some say 6 months Shocked fed on bran and dog biscuit. Not sure I will continue with them as only the larger frogs can take them and the bulk of my collection are pumilio and thumb nail species.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
RonW
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:

I decided right now isn't the right time for roaches (well some one else did Laughing ) especially after hearing a mates tale of having them in sheds he never cultured them or fed them in Shocked

Right decision Laughing There are quite a few people here who complained of red runners infesting their house. I think that most or all managed to get rid of the infestation, but it took a while. Not a species I'd want to use in the house. Too bad, because it is a nice size for smaller animals.
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Roaches Reply with quote

Thanks Paul for the advice. I have read they like really hot temps like 35-40c (new money). Hence the name firebrats.

I think B. lateralis (name used in U.S) are the same as Shelfordella tartara (name used in Europe), =common name red runners or turkestan roach. My Red Runners are bred in a building around 150 metres from my house ! They are used there, as food and also in my outdoor enclosures which are also a similiar distance from the house. I started using them outdoors in 2006. I noticed in the spring of 2007 runners still alive in the same enclosures that must have survived the winter, since I had yet used anymore yet then in 2007. That winter included many frosts with temps down to -5c. Again this year temps down to -6c and yet they seem alive and well under water dishes outdoors (seen two days ago). Warning this is a tough roach !!!!
Ajfr0ggy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting. Are the enclosures heated in any way? Frost free areas for herps?

Ive got a few breeding at the moment, when my numbers are high enough I'll see what this roach can do..
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the enclosures are not heated in any way except by the sun ! The enclosures are open air, only covered by chicken wire to keep cats, foxes etc out. There are areas underground that both the reptiles and roaches can excape from both extreme cold or heat. So I am not suggesting that they can survive freezing, but this shows how tough they are to survive months at very low temps. We have had many frosts already this year and I have seen these roaches still alive after that, only just below the suface.
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been breeding 1000's of red runners for a few years now. They occasionally turn up in the house, but I'm positive that they have never bred in the house. They might breed in my reptile room, specifically in my very large (40 sq. ft) tegu tank, but have never become a problem. I use sticky roach traps for peace of mind. Also, I am careful with feeding them only in escape proof vivs, or using forceps, or crushing their head first!

Mark.
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that. But how do you design a viv that does not let red runners out ? You can make escapes rare but prevent them 100 %, not sure its possible ? We are often told that it is a good idea to try to promote the hobby in a positive way. Unless you live in a detached house you risk really freaking out neighbours if they find your escapes ! We might know R.R's are probably harmless, and can't be compared to "pest species" but I'm not sure neighbours or the authorities will see it that way !
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need real small nymphs there's no way I'll be sitting there feeding the frogs of tweezers Laughing

a good 90% of my vivs are fruit fly proof Cool

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My German-made all glass vivs are escape proof...

With normal wooden'melamine style vivs, I either feed tame lizards off forceps, or crush the roaches heads and drop into an escape proof ceramic bowl. They can't climb the sides. I crush their heads in case they climb out using the lizard as an aid! You get the hang of crushing them just enough so they are still moving but can't recover.

For my various turtles, the turtles go in a tub of water, and a handful of adult runners thrown in. Again, no way of escape.

Mark 68, I have discussed this species at length with my local Environmental Health Officer who is (just about) ok with my breeding them!!!

Cheers,
Mark.
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try firefly mimics. They are the smallest roach I keep myself.
I found Green Banana Roaches a pain as the nymphs burrow into the substrate. B. lateralis are great, but very invasive !!! I think I've got almost as many living free range in my shed as I do in my breeding tubs. Males do fly, and can climb smooth surfaces if they are not completely clean.

Sounds like you want a non burrowing, non glass climbing roach that breeds easily and quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: