Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feeder insect nutrition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Feeder insect nutrition. Reply with quote

For some time now i have been working on a formula for a gutload diet to feed to feeder insects, i have tried out many different ingrediants(all natural) and made sure that all were nutritionally well rounded and also readily eaten by the various feeder insects available to us. I have now put together the formula and now having it tested at a laboratory to show the effect it has on insects fed on it, and the first set of results came through today and im well happy with them, and thought i would post up the results to show just how important it is to gutload your feeder insects with the correct food.
To show the difference the diet makes i have had control tests carried out aswell, these insects were fed just bran and water(which is what most insects arrive in)for 1 week the ideal result would be a ratio of 2 calcium to 1 phosphorus.

Gutload Formula Calc/Phos .77/.31 g/100g
Cricket fed bran Calc/Phos .26/.28 g/100g
Cricket fed Formula Calc/Phos .53/.29 g/100g
Morio fed Bran Calc/Phos .18/.23 g/100g
Morio fed Formula Calc/Phos .34/.23 g/100g

As it shows in the results ive had back so far both crickets and morio worms if fed on the bran they arrive in will be too high in phosphorus and will require dusting with calcium on each feed to correct the ratio, whereas the insects fed the formula are fine to be fed as they are and will be more readily accepted by the animal eating them.
As a comparrison i decided to also have tested one of the leading gutloads currently on the market and got the following result back.

Cricket fed Branded gutload Calc/Phos .49/.42 g/100g

On the packaging it states it contains Calc/Phos at 2/1 and i believe the difference is because most commercial gutloads use calcium carbonate to increase the calcium content and in the tests i carried out found that the feeders insects didnt eat calcium carbonate, in my formula i use a blend of calcium rich foods instead of C.Carbonate. As soon as the rest of the results come in i will post them up also. Very Happy
johne.ev
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jas. i am also trying different types of foods for gut load. one thing i'm trying at the moment is Vitalin ferret food, which has some intresting ingredients, including: VIT D3. i grind it up & feed it to crickets & roaches. look forward to rest of the results.
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think gutloading is the way to go as its alot safer than dusting with vits and minerals which can cause problems if given too much especially fat soluble vits like vit A. How do you feed them the ground up Vitalin dry? or have you tried mixing it into a paiste as they will consume alot more of it that way.
Also everybody states to gutload 24 hours before feeding them off, i want to have some tested that have been gutloaded for 24 hours and a week to see if there is any benefit of gutloading them for longer.
johne.ev
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jas. Sorry didn't see your reply. i have been feeding it dry but will try mixing it with water. thanks.
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Jas, so your not just a pretty face then Very Happy I'm a big believer in gut loading, I have to confess to buying in my gutloading 'bug grub' about 2kg at a time, I feed all my mealies on it in the storage tub, and then i also add a fine layer to the bottom of the dishes before I put the mealies in so that they stay loaded whilst they are in there waiting to be eaten, then I dust with either leopard gecko dust for the leos & fatties and calcium or neutrobal for the beardies and rankins. The main storage container for the mealise also gets about 3 large spring green leafs about twice a week. So far I have to say the results have been rather good, even my baby beardies that I decided to try and raise on mealies are growing like weeds and they all still have their tails and toes. They also have the benefit of Mercury Vapour bulbs for good UV to aid the calcium uptake.

Is there anything I'm missing or not doing that I should or shouldn't ?

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: