Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue Tree Monitor Enclosure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VaranusCam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arborgoanna wrote:
Ah, you are referring to the quarantine enclosure article; for some reason I thought you were referring to the substrate-less enclosure article also on the website.

I agree in that the garbage can quarantine enclosure is not optimal for this species. While in theory, hosing it down and keeping things sanitary is easy, it does prove difficult and can be invasive when you are entering the enclosure in from above. I have since abandoned that type of quarantine setup, and have implemented a front-opening enclosure similar to my permanent enclosures, although basically containing the same components as the garbage can enclosure.

To answer your question, yes treemonitors.com is my website. Sadly, it has been a while since I last updated the website, in fact I discontinued it a few months back. I had to reinstate it more recently so that I could retrieve some information and photographs from it when my old desktop pc containing the originals crashed and lost the files. I am not sure what future of the site is, funding two non-profit informational websites is getting expensive!

I have since moved on to create a new informational website http://varanidae.org , which hosts the IVIG and the varanid journal Biawak. This new endeavor occupies most of my time these days, so I'm afraid there isn't much else I can do for treemonitors.com. I am not sure if anybody here is able to understand German, but Daniel Moldovan has created an excellent German counterpart, which can be accessed at http://baumwarane.de.

why change anything if the lizards are already thriving and settled, his macraei are doing fine with cork tubing as with my prasinus they seem fine eating, breeding (with no eggs lol) and stress free with horizontally placed perches
Cheers!

VaranusCam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woops!!!! ma post went a bit wrong the last part is what im posting...
SteveL
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb set ups mate im going to have to get into monitors

Cool

jezz wrote:
I dont understand SteveL's sarcasm dohhh
Bri.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great setups. Always thought macraes were stunning monitors, just hate the price tag that goes with them Surprised

How have you fixed the cork tubes to the background ?
The Lucky Reptile cork backgrounds are great. I used them for my gilleni viv. Easy to cut and secure to the viv wall.
LeeWarren
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varanuscam: Do try the cork tubes with your prasinus. You will be pleasantly surprised and your monitors will enjoy the extra exercise.

The cork tubes are fixed using a plastic wire threaded through the cork and thread through small holes at the top of the viv.

The Blues are expensive and will probably remain expensive because of the small clutch sizes they produce.
VaranusCam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will and iv also orders some of the cork tiles from evolution reptiles ill be putting them in the new herpteks, thanks for the info lee
Martijn
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bumb these old thread. Few months ago i saw the link from the post below. now i like to check it again, but the link is broken. Someone can help?

arborgoanna wrote:
If I can offer some constructive criticism on these cages..

After keeping members of the V. prasinus complex for several years now, and experimenting with various setups and orientations, I have found that these monitors prefer thick, vertically oriented tree limbs and trunks, rather than horizontally-oriented branches and logs. Of course some horizontal branches would be fine, however I think that you should add a bunch of vertical trunks in there (of greater than 4" in diameter). Your monitors will likely make better use out of these trunks than your current orientation.

There is an excellent V. beccarii terrarium in the following thread, which will give you an idea of what I am talking about, and might even give you some new ideas for improving your terraria.

http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1438124,1438495

Best of luck to you with your captives!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: