Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

housing corns together?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j-clark
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: housing corns together? Reply with quote

hi ive got a female corn snake and was thinking of getting her a partner (male) would this be OK to house them together? i was thinking of breeding them so there isn't a problem if they end up mating lol. shes in a 3ft long 2ft high and 2ft wide viv would i need to change to a bigger viv that's if i can house them together. thanks
Lynne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally wouldnt keep two corns or two any snakes together unless for breeding. or should i say while breeding. there is a chance of cannibalism, if one poohs weird, how do you know which one did it? etc etc.
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh OK that's fair enough Very Happy
Lynne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats just my opinion though. lots of people prob have kept them together, i just wouldnt.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded.

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus there is the chance they would mate while the female is too young and doesnt carry enough weight. much better to keep them apart until mating time.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne's On The Ball!
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: housing corns together Reply with quote

I have kept corns for the past 20 years, and have never had any problems housing them together ONCE ADULT. I fully agree with keeping males and females apart until fully grown, as most species can breed at a relatively young age, stunting the growth and potentially adversely affecting the health of the female.
I house hatchlings individually, as this will make feeding easier and safer. Subadults are often housed together, but in same-sex groups only. Once fully grown and mature, they are housed in pairs, separated for feeding, and to allow the female to put weight back on after egg-laying. I have never had any problems with this.

In terms of cannibalism, Corns are not a cannibalistic species, nor are they naturally ophiophagous, and so highly unlikely to randomly eat another corn it is housed with. The problem comes when feeding, as with any species, that on a rare occasion, both animals will seize the same prey item, and one will simply keep swallowing, ingesting it's cage-mate!!

This is simply resolved by separating at feeding time, putting one in a separate box (I use large Contico's for this), and leaving apart for a short while after they have finished eating to avoid any potential "feeding frenzy" problems.
Greenphase
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: housing corns together Reply with quote

ian14 wrote:
I have kept corns for the past 20 years, and have never had any problems housing them together ONCE ADULT. I fully agree with keeping males and females apart until fully grown, as most species can breed at a relatively young age, stunting the growth and potentially adversely affecting the health of the female.
I house hatchlings individually, as this will make feeding easier and safer. Subadults are often housed together, but in same-sex groups only. Once fully grown and mature, they are housed in pairs, separated for feeding, and to allow the female to put weight back on after egg-laying. I have never had any problems with this.

In terms of cannibalism, Corns are not a cannibalistic species, nor are they naturally ophiophagous, and so highly unlikely to randomly eat another corn it is housed with. The problem comes when feeding, as with any species, that on a rare occasion, both animals will seize the same prey item, and one will simply keep swallowing, ingesting it's cage-mate!!

This is simply resolved by separating at feeding time, putting one in a separate box (I use large Contico's for this), and leaving apart for a short while after they have finished eating to avoid any potential "feeding frenzy" problems.

I totally agree with this and have to admit that when i did keep corns i did also keep them as groups and seperate when feeding.Later as i got more corns i did use a rack system for them so they were kepy individually except for breeding.

I agree that in groups it is very hard to spot a problem at the earliest time as you do not know which snake has a problem and for this reason i then chose to keep them seperated.

I have also heard of mis-sexed corns being kept together from birth that have then bred.In one case that i know of the female laid eggs when she was less than a year old and only around 150 grams in weight.This happened earlier this year to someone on another forum that i used to use.

On the whole i would suggest to anyone if you have the room then keep your snakes seperate unless you are breeding.They do not need a cage mate and will be very happy to live in a viv on their own
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: