Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my mums hermans tortoise has stopped eating.... please help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeroytheboy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, MVB is Mercury Vapour Bulb.....they put out a great deal of the correct UV for torts etc, and are easily set up above a tort table. Though they should always be used with a reflector because the light is not the healthiest thing in the world for us!

Good luck with him
Rizlah
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah thank you for this, i will make sure we get one when we get the table, know anyone looking for a 4ft viv lol
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvb is a mercury vapour bulb, it gives of heat and far better ultraviolet than a strip light. they are very hot so i would only use it in a big viv or on an open topped table.

now my tort has slowed down too, maybe he's getting ready for hibernation? they have this built in to their body clock too. mine is on his wind down and is going into the fridge soon.
also my tort lived in a viv for a good 8 months, now he is on a table that has a cutout door and he also gets the run of the room too, any the difference being out of a viv has made is brilliant. going to the toilet in the bath is normal and i think its a good thing. good luck with him.....
Rizlah
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trunx wrote:
mvb is a mercury vapour bulb, it gives of heat and far better ultraviolet than a strip light. they are very hot so i would only use it in a big viv or on an open topped table.

now my tort has slowed down too, maybe he's getting ready for hibernation? they have this built in to their body clock too. mine is on his wind down and is going into the fridge soon.
also my tort lived in a viv for a good 8 months, now he is on a table that has a cutout door and he also gets the run of the room too, any the difference being out of a viv has made is brilliant. going to the toilet in the bath is normal and i think its a good thing. good luck with him.....

Thanks again for all this, I checked humidity in the viv last night and ambient humidity is about 30% with it dropping to about 10% under basking spot. I have given him a hide on both hot and cold sides in case hes only on hot side cos that's the only place there is a safe secure hide for him.

I too believe that it is just him trying to hibernate but this year we decided not to let him since he is still so young, will this cause him any ill effects, I was told that it was OK to do this and would not cause him any serious problems.
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shouldnt do him any harm to miss his first year at all.
blondesarah
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello as your tortoise is from a shop there is a chance it is wild caught, you REALLY need to get a poo sample to your vets and check for worms and protazoa.
Rizlah
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tort came from a breeder in the UK to a shop in scotland, this shop got teh cites paperwork wtih the torts at the time they got them.
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where does the cities say it was bred? the reason i ask is i think most breeder would not send their baby torts to a pet shop. any ive came across are very particular as to where their torts go to live.......
teguchick
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rizlah wrote:
many thanks for all of this and for taking the time out to reply and help us out, my mum is so worried about her new little friend. The shop I bought it from is owned by a "trained herpetologist", this is what they sold us as an ideal house for it for the rest of its life, I can't even go back and question this person as for other more personal reasons they have become quite hostile towards me so I guess i just need to put this all down to a life learning experience and never go on what just one person tells me again and to in fact research a little more about my animals and get more of a consensus before deciding how best to care for them.

Thank you very much for all your help and related articles, i will most certainly read and print them out for my mum to read.

Anyone else with information on what could be wring here with this tort I would very much appreciate your input.

0.0.2 Crested Geckos
1.1.0 Royal Pythons
1.1.0 W. Hognoses
1.0.0 Mexican milksnake
Rizlah
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: