Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exotic Snakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forlanrules
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Exotic Snakes Reply with quote

I have only been a member for a couple of weeks but afta looking ova different topics i wuz wondering where in the UK (if possible) would you find dwarf retics or burms? im not intereseted i getting one anytime soon im still trying to work out my first royal, but ive never heard of anywhere selling them, breeders or pet shops is this to do with our laws?
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of shops don't sell retics or burms anymore for a couple of reasons, firstly from a cost point of view they are expensive. They take a while to sell and the longer you have them the more it costs to feed them (especially as they grow so quick) so the shop is constantly losing money on them. They make more money fitting a couple of corns or royals into the same space that a burm takes up and those snakes sell much much quicker. There are a few shops that regularily stock them but if many more were to start then the originals would have to stop, the demand just isnt big enough for every shop to have them in.
It used to be that burms were "cool" to keep as they are big and often friendly but as more responsible keeping practices have emerged less and less people buy them, with many shops not selling them to encourage the continued growth of these practices.
The dwarf retics are still relatively new and as such the private breeders often sell out before having to sell any to shops. You can count on your hands how many proven breeding pairs of dwarf retics there are in the UK. This small amount of breeding animals means that often entire clutches are sold through the "friend" network and never get advertised.

That said, the best place to look is on the internet classifieds, like the one this site provides (hope ya like the plug Scott!! Razz ) every now and again they pop up, especially around the first few months of the year as this is when babies hatch.

The best thing you can do though when you want to find something is ask around your friends. As big as it may seem at times the UK herp scene is actually still very close and you can often find things through a friend of a friend. If you don't have many/any herp friends then joining a society or local club will help you meet people.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
forlanrules
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dan, like i said im not afta one im a first time with pythons so its still nu to me and i would never consider taking anything that big on until i have had the experince of other snakes, it wuz js curiosity really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: