Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feeding insects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pyrockat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Feeding insects Reply with quote

Hey guys, just a few Q's about feeder insects, as I'm getting my first lizard next week (yay!)

I was hoping to buy in about a months supply, as I want to order online and its easier than having to be around for weekly deliveries. Is it feasible to expect that the feeder insects (planning on having crickets, hatchling locusts, waxies and calci-grubs) will live this long?

Given how evil black crickets look, are they suitable for feeding to a young beardie if I get a small enough size? Prefer them to the brown ones.

Any idea how many crickets I can reasonably keep in a large kricket keeper? I have two, but the online supplies seem to supply really big tubs of crickets. And any tips on keeping the insects warm on the cheap?

And lastly, any tips on getting the crickets out of the tubs and into the kricket keepers without having to get Rentokil in?

Sorry for the barrage of questions guys, I'm just a bit clueless when it comes to creepy crawlies!
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Given how evil black crickets look, are they suitable for feeding to a young beardie if I get a small enough size? Prefer them to the brown ones.

black crickets are evil! lol they also have wings and so make alot of noise, if i were you i would get brown crickets. Silent brown crickets are, in my opuinion the best feeder crickets, as they are silent, not that aggressive and not big disgustng and black

Quote:
I was hoping to buy in about a months supply, as I want to order online and its easier than having to be around for weekly deliveries. Is it feasible to expect that the feeder insects (planning on having crickets, hatchling locusts, waxies and calci-grubs) will live this long?

i do not think you need all those, maybe just get crickets or locusts and mealworms or waxworms (preferably mealies) but both of these should be given in modertauon due to high fat content in waxies and high chitin conetent in mealies. (chitin is the protein of which their exoskeleton is made from and is hard to digest.
they will only last a month if you feed them, lol. They will only last a long time if you care for them properly. You can buy special bug grub, which contains nutrients and vitamins, which wehen the lizard eats the crix will be absorbed (aka gut loading). if you do not fancy feeding bug gruib, you can use: bread, dried pet food, greenery, fish food.
They also require some moisture, so you could buy silicon gel, sold as wtaer crystals in reptile shops. which is like solid water, as crickets will drown if you just give them a bowl of water. or alternativeley, feed them food with a high water content, such as lettuce.

Quote:
Any idea how many crickets I can reasonably keep in a large kricket keeper? I have two, but the online supplies seem to supply really big tubs of crickets. And any tips on keeping the insects warm on the cheap?

i do not know how big a kricket keeper is, but i keep about 150 in a large pet keeper. a plastic measuring 40 x 20 x 25 cm

Quote:
And lastly, any tips on getting the crickets out of the tubs and into the kricket keepers without having to get Rentokil in?

just turn the tubs upside down and pull the lids off, they all just fall in. They cannot climb up vertical plastic, so cannot escape. however locusts can.

hope this helps

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the cheap heating if there is any space on top of the beardies hot end of the viv then just sit the tanks on top of that end of the viv.
Pyrockat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ailurus, I hate the brown crickets, hence why I asked about the black. it doesnt matter if they're noisy, also I thought only the adults sang? What I wanted to know was if they were suitable for feeding to young beardies. And I'd like to get my beardie used to eating as many different things as possible, because I dont want to feed to many crickets because theyre so quick and jumpy...bit scary for a bit wimp like me, lol. I'd rather not feed mealworms until the beardie is older, I've heard too many bad things about them. I have bug grub and everything as well already.

And thanks for the tip Phil, I'll give that a try.
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok sorry i was just trying to help.

black crickets are fine for feeding to a baby beardie, if they are of the correct size. however i think you should be aware of this thread --> http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15630

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickets are rank. Fulls Stop!

Have you thought about breding roaches? I breed b'dubia. Underbed storage box, load of egg crate, water gell, and handfull of dog biscuits. Breed well, silent, dont smell, dont fly, and dont climb. Surely the ultimate feeder insect!
Pyrockat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurilius, sorry if I sounded nippy, its just for some reason the browns give me more of an ick factor. Thats a damn scary thread tho! Maybe I'll stick to locusts lol although they're a wee bit pricier. Here was me thinking locusts were gentle vegetarians. I'm taking an animal care course and was feeding the resident beardie his locusts today and was well proud of myself for handling them...NOW I learn that they bite. Rolling Eyes Tweezers from now on, lol!

I was seriously considering the roaches but I've heard Dubia take a long time to get breeding, I'd never run the risk of lobster roaches, and I'm not sure its worth the effort for just the one lizard (although I'm debating adding a few geckos Wink ). I've seen other peoples boxes crawling with roaches, I just wonder how people keep them clean and stuff. When you breed them, do the adults ever eat the little ones? ANd are the babies small enough to feed to baby beardies?

At the moment I'm living at home, for a few months anyway, and then with flatmates. I could probably argue about the relative merits of Dubia roaches for days, but I'm pretty sure my parentals would draw the line when I said the word "Cockroach". Maybe I could pretend they were patagonian giant fruit beetles or something Twisted Evil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: