Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rough green snakes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Rough green snakes Reply with quote

I'm interested in keeping Rough greens. I seem to be getting conflicting information about keeping them in captivity. Do they do well? Is anyone out there succesfully breeding them?
So far I've only been offered wild caught ones and as I'm an ecologist I can't agree with this type of trade in animals.
Any advice would be really welcome.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Barry, welcome.

Rough Greens can do very well in captivity if set up correctly. They have been bred in captivity too, although finding CB stock would be very hard.

If you wanted Rough Greens you would have to buy w/c, they are not imported in large enough numbers to affect wild populations, their biggest threat like ALL animals is habitat loss not live animal trade.

I'm not sure on their life span but am pretty sure it's not long. They are normally kept in very naturalistic cages and can be fed a variety of insects.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
RoyalCrazy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT GET WC'S.... THEY WILL DIE... I will look around for some CB for you but it is very unlikely. Confused
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalCrazy wrote:
DONT GET WC'S.... THEY WILL DIE

Bit harsh!!!

Yes they will be hard work as they can be pretty frail but you may find it very rewarding to put your time and ever increasing skills into a pair of WC snakes.
From a monetary point you'll only be losing a couple of quid if they die. From a skill/knowledge point of view it will be invaluable no matter what happens.
That way when the subject of WC animals comes up again you can add your own experience and thoughts to the subject instead of being one of the many who post on this topic without any actual experience of there own.

The ONLY way we get CB animals is by breeding WC, too many people lose sight of that fact.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
RoyalCrazy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dan"]
RoyalCrazy wrote:

Bit harsh!!!
quote]

How the HELL is that harsh??
RoyalCrazy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
RoyalCrazy wrote:

The ONLYway we get CB animals is by breeding WC, too many people lose sight of that fact.

Don't talk 'poo' how will people loose sight of that... Rolling Eyes
jim_radley
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the idea that WC was a no go area, as that's the opinion of a large majority of people in this hobby. I have since seen the light, as I was finding it hard to get hold of a few sub adult desert horned lizards. I could only find WC specimens, and decided to get some. They arrived and looked great, had would readily eat anything offered to them. They have since rapidly grown and are all perfectly healthy.

This first proved that buying WC is not always a bad thing. There are however some simple guidelines to consider before obtaining WC specimens:
1, Do you have a good amount of experience in keeping reptiles?
2, Is it a reptile that isn't readily available as CB?
3, Is it a new bloodline for breeding stock?
4, Will it be from a reputable importer/wholesaler?

Another thing to consider, is that sometimes WC stock has been in captivity for a period of a few months onwards, these are sometimes listed as LTC (Long Term Captives) these have had time in a controlled environment and therefore any problems would have shown themselves.

Remember this is a place to share your wisdom with others, not try and force information upon them. The best way to learn is from experience.

Last edited by jim_radley on Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalCrazy (Roxy is it?),

I am truly sorry i offended you but when people make statements like yours on a forum it is there for a long time. If nobody questions it then new readers will take it as fact.
Getting upset at me for saying you were harsh isn't going to achieve anything. Your post is a standard internet reply to anyone looking at WC animals, this standard is set by the many kids on the net that post with no experience or knowledge.
This forum, while small, is populated by some of the most experienced and respected people in the country. They are here because until lately there has been little to no drama at all and there aren't hundreds of kids posting random bogus information, amongst other reasons.
If it is to carry on the way it is then people (myself included) need to be less ready to get angry and upset at conflicting information.

As Jim said, forums are here to share and gain knowledge (despite the way other forums seem to work).

Again i apologise for upsetting you.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Dan Cool
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely worded Dan. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: