Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waxworm Culture
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Waxworm Culture Reply with quote

Hello all,

Just thought I would show you how a waxworm culture I started a couple of months is coming along.

I know it's not nothing special, I just found it quite interesting how simple it is to do and the amount of worms produced.

I found a guide on the internet of how to set it up. Basically it's just a sweet jar with a substrate of crushed weetabix, honey, and a bit of CGD for added goodies. Then rip up some cardboard pieces to place on top. Add some waxworms bought from the petshop, cover with some old tights and leave it for a month or two.

The worms obviously pupate, and hatch as their adult moth form. They then mate and lay their eggs on the cardboard. Worms eventually hatch and live off the mixture.

Here are some pictures, check out how warm the substrate gets, my room is very cool this time of year. However, the medium is actually very warm to touch, 90f in places! Must be all that respiration!
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno why this one didn't attach:
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mate, did you not find that when the new waxies had hatched and started to climb about that they managed to climb right up to the tights and chew holes in them to escape? That's what mine did Shocked
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to try this myself I think...cool idea...never really thought of breeding more waxies funnily enough Smile
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good! Wink

Where abouts can you get a sweet jar from?

Thanks for the idea Smile

:.Rhacodactylus.:.Eublepharis.:.Stenodactylus.:.Nephrurus.:
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, I have one on the go too, but mine is in a plastic cereal dispenser Smile

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil1988 wrote:
Hey mate, did you not find that when the new waxies had hatched and started to climb about that they managed to climb right up to the tights and chew holes in them to escape? That's what mine did Shocked

Hi Phil, yep a few crawled up and were able to get through the tights not too many though, didn't seem to go far and dried out after a few days, their owns silly fault! I got you pm too btw, I'll get round to taking some pics soon hopefully.

Thanks mcfluffin Smile

SmallPaul, the plastic jar had cable ties or something in I think, had them for a while. I'd imagine you can get sweet jars from a sweet shop though! Surprised :Lol:

Cheers Gary, no reason why everyone shouldn't do it, just forget about it and harvest your free gutloaded waxies when you need to heh Smile
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, I was planning on posting up a "How To Culture Waxworms" post myself - we must have started the cultures on near enough the same day. No worries though the forum can have two waxie how to threads Laughing
sam.b
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roughly how much wheatabix to honey do you use i tried a while ago but didn't have much luck????
adriankidd
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how productive is a wax worm culture, say i started with 250 wax worms, what would i be hoping to produce from that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: