Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ceramics...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Ceramics... Reply with quote

I recently ordered 2 sets of 100watt ceramic heaters with the holders and heatproof cable for my dissertation project with leopard geckos. In the end I didn't use them so they're still boxed up.

I was wondering if anyone used them for their monitors for daytime heat? I always thought that basking lights were better because maybe they recognise light as a heat source. Just thought I would ask because I have 2 sat here doing nothing and am trying to find a use for them!

Cheers

Kate
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a reptile radiator and a basking light with my monitor.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI kate,

I use them in my larger vivariums to provide back ground heat but never as a basking spot. I have them on a stat and set to the lowest temp i want the viv to be (eg 20C) The stats only bring the CHE's on in the winter at night when basking lights have been off. They also work as a good backup in case the basking lights fail on a cold day.

Rick
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. I think I will stick with my heat mat and bulbs for the time being as I'm not sure where ceramics would fit in.

He has a 100watt bulb at the hot end and I'm fitting another 100watt (well I'm drilling the holes at least) tonight because one bulb doesn't make the hot spot big enough for him to get his whole body under. I also have a few of those exo terra tight beam things which I bough with the intension of using before realising my fittings are bayonet and the bulbs are screw...duh! I was goin to get the adaptors but that may put the bulbs a bit too low down....

Do you see the pattern here...me buying things and not getting round to using them! I'm trying to try different methods out to see what is best.

Cheers
ultimate_boides
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I however use a ceramic in each of my monitor cages and actually prefer them to bulbs, i use them to provide the hot spot, they each and connected to a pulse prop stat.
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about using them for basking spots but I only have normal on/off stats which I believe shortens their life compared to a pulse stat.

Think I will stick with bulbs for now, but I'll hang on to the ceramics and perhaps tinker with them at a later date Very Happy

Cheers

Kate
crocdoc
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick_Albig wrote:
I use them in my larger vivariums to provide back ground heat but never as a basking spot. I have them on a stat and set to the lowest temp i want the viv to be (eg 20C) The stats only bring the CHE's on in the winter at night when basking lights have been off. They also work as a good backup in case the basking lights fail on a cold day.

I use them for the exact same purpose (and setup, by the sounds of it) as Rick, particularly for hatchlings as they tend to hatch mid-winter, are a lot more delicate than adults and my home isn't centrally heated.
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I was to use them for background heat, where would be the best place to fit them. His viv is 4x2x2 with the hot end on the left, would it be better to fit it in the middle or the cool end??

Thanks for you help guys
Very Happy
DeanThorpe
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defo not cool end.
middle or warm end.
depends what you have rigged up for statting...

are your basking lights statted?

if not [as in if no need as they cant overheat cool end in large viv] then you could put the ceramic wherever and situate the stat probe at the cool end set to 85.
Eyed Lizard
Leo's
Tokay's
Cresties
Garg
Berber skinks
Ocltd Skinks
Uro acanthinurus
Fiji Iguana's
oplurus cyclurus+Cuvieri
Collard's
Long Tailed Lizards
Dwarf Sungazers
Water dragon
Corn's
Royal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
miffikins
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh I seeeee! That makes sense Cool His bulbs arn't statted but his matt is. Not quite sure how I'd do it, silly us didn't put wheels on the bottom of the stack....I shall ask hubby Very Happy

Thanks Dean!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: