Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dusting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Dusting Reply with quote

Hi, Im interested in finding out what vitamin powders people are using or if they use any at all?
I use nutrobal but i am worried about the concentrations of vit a, which i have read for a few years, might be on the high side and avitaminosis.
I had a salvator for about a decade and i never gave any supplimental vitamen powders at all, i used a 250 sodium vapour lamp, this animal (male) was perfect even if i do say so myself oh and proteus..
He was incredably lively too!!
I have also read that monitor lizard skin is too thick to absorb the suns lights, and that they make up there vits and trace elements through accidental injestion when feeding?? I can understand this in the larger species but what about the dwarfs?
I also use a variety of "tubes" normal, reptile based and various different tropical/marine/coral based lights all at the same time, am i wasting my time?

cheers

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use Nutrabol on my monitors but very rarely, i prefer to give them there vits/mins through gutloading but i do top up with the nutrabol about once every two weeks. I dont think your waisting your time with providing good lighting for them after all good UVA is as important than UVB tubes, ive not heard that they cant absorb the UV because they have thick skin after all tortoises and even elephants need to absorb UVB. Very Happy
GJ
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a multi-mineral supplement (Miner-all) 2-3 times per week, and vitamins (Reptivite) once a week. I gut load my live food with a variety of different foods and don't see the need to dust with vits as much.
johne.ev
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Nutrabol once a week. i also provide UV and natural sunlight tubes, for all my monitors. i like the brightness the daylight tube provides. i also follow the theory that lizards that bask in the sun benefit from the sun.
Bohan
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, my prey animals receive a good diet of fruit greens and dog/cat/fish food. I have been dusting quite regularily, recently, but this is because my animals, glauerti, have so much space they dont always eat the prey i've just put in, so i put dusted food in in a deep ceramic dish which works, they feed from it nicely. I see them foraging along out crops and under leaf litter and this green material i've used, tongues going like the clappers and into every crevice until some thing is flushed or grabbed and fished out, but these prey animals dusting has worn off.
I have the sun come into the viv in the morning or rather its light, bit of heat but it is filtered through double glazing and the tanks glass veiw panel. I/they like the brightness it provides im certain.
I also some times swap the nutrobal for neat calcium, but again im not sure if this is pointless as they arnt getting the same d3 with it, or have i got it all wrong.
It would be nice to find a good right up on how the whole UVA/B, d3, calcium metabolism works in laymens terms
cheers

2.0.0 Varanus glauerti.
1.1.0 Varanus a brachyurus.
1.1.0 Chlamydosaurus kingii.
1.3.4 Lacerta vivipera.
DeanThorpe
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use calcium [pure] 2-3 times as often as i use multivits.
But i dont tend to dust rodents, just insects or other foods.
Eyed Lizard
Leo's
Tokay's
Cresties
Garg
Berber skinks
Ocltd Skinks
Uro acanthinurus
Fiji Iguana's
oplurus cyclurus+Cuvieri
Collard's
Long Tailed Lizards
Dwarf Sungazers
Water dragon
Corn's
Royal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
It's corny but
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was advised when I got my baby to use both nutrobal and pure calcium, and I still do, although now i use it every other feed, never on mice though -he thrashes em around so much it'd be lost. I put calcimize in his water (and all the lizards) every day.
Carolina, Lavender, Snow, Amel Corns, Everglades Rat, Pueblan Milk x2, Madagascan Day Gecko, Bosc Monitor, Leopard Gecko, Hog Island Boa, 2 x Dwarf Boa, Dwarf Retic, Tokay, Collared Lizards, Desert Iguana, Kitten, Blood Python, Royals, 2x Staffies
frog_chorus
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use pure calcium 2-3 times a week and heavily dust his insects with it, prior to this they are fed carrot, cucumber, lettuce, tropical fish food and many over things. When I feed mice I just with pure vitamins. Often I will feed my Bosc a calcium/vit mix. I also provide a 10%uvb light tube that hes exposed to whilst basking. Hope this helps Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: