Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any of these in UK collections?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arborgoanna
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Are there any of these in UK collections? Reply with quote

Has anybody ever seen Togian Water Monitors floating around in the UK? I used to have a flawless pair, who lived peacefully together(a rare occurrence with wild caught-adult salvators!). Unfortunately, due to the spacial requirements of their caging, I was forced to keep them elsewhere. At the time, I was working for FAUNA Magazine, and was given permission to keep them in the basement of their headquarters.

After having the monitors for several months, I was laid off by Fauna, and was forced to move them out. Having no other available space to properly accomodate them, I was forced to sell them off. And from what I hear, the animals have exchanged ownership three or four times already, and that this "bonded" pair had been separated and sold to different people..

While I absolutely hated how messy and vile those monitors were, I do miss their impressive builds(especially when compared to my skinny pencil-monitors!! haha), their strength, and their beauty. I am only aware of less than 20 or so individuals imported into the US, and was just wondering if there is anyone over in the UK who has kept them, or seen them before..

cheers,

Bob

arborgoanna
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a better photograph of the pair.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning monitors, I do like all black animals.

That's such a shame that they were split up. Ive not heard or seen of any over in the UK but Sean on here is probably the best guy to ask, he's seems to be 'into' the rarer large monitors.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
arborgoanna
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there definately is something stunning about an all back monitor lizard. With the togianus that I had, I really liked the throat and chin banding- as it reminded me a bit of the similar banding seen in V. varius. Scott, I believe you said that you were down in Daytona for the breeder's expo this past August.. Did you happen to see the huge beast of a black water monitor at Glades Herp's table? Quite an impressive animal.

I like my V. beccarii for many reasons(especially my male-my personal favorite in my collection), but one of the reasons why they fascinate me, is that I think they bear a resemble the creature from the Alien movies...(I'm a big fan of the first two movies).

Hmm...I believe I've seen a Sean from the UK, over on my buddy, and fellow New Yorker, John Adragna's website, http://www.cybersalvator.com. Perhaps this is the same bloke you are talking about..

Salvators are impressive animals, but their sheer adult size, messiness, and demands are too much for me to handle at this time.. I prefer working with my 'pencil lizards', as they are more manageable(and more interesting to me)..

To change the subject a bit, one thing that I have noticed with most European countries, is that you guys seem to be limited in the number of WC indonesian species available to you, when compared to the US. I have been told by a friend in Holland, that many/most of the European nations have restrictions and limitations on allowing several wild caught species to be imported.

Some such species that I've heard are difficult to find in Europe are V. salvadorii, V. doreanus, V. melinus, V. jobiensis, among others.. Can anyone offer some insight into this, as I am curious if this is true or not, and why.

Cheers folks,

Bob
just a few more togianus photos I found stashed away on my website..

[/img]
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bob,

As far as I am aware there is no togianus in the UK, but they are in Europe. I was offered some large adults and some juveniles on several occasions but I prefer cumingi to togianus. Much rarer in Europe is nuchalis, I have only ever seen one in person.
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Bob,

Yes this is the same Sean who knows John from cybersalvator.

As to your question I would say that melinus, doreanus and jobiensis are quite easy to get hold of in Europe and in my opinion are fairly common place amongst varanus keepers in Europe. In fact they are probably amongst the most common of the indo types being kept in captivity. Much harder to get hold of is V. yuwonoi from when these first came in to Europe in the late 90's you do not see many being offered now and I know its the same in the States too. The Halmahera around Jailolo and Tanah Putih I am told can be quite a dangerous place so maybe this stops collectors going there.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I completely missed the black water monitor on Glades table, I saw the Hypo Nile and Albino Bosc on BHB table, the albino boscs were stunning, would be fantastic to see a few of those in the UK.

To be honest, I was quite disappointed with the monitors at Daytona (except the hypo and albinos). There were quite a few prasinus but didn't really see anything else in the way of dwarf monitors, just seems like all the breeders have packed up with them and gone onto other things. I guess it makes no difference now though as you can't get export CITES for your Australian monitors Sad .

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
arborgoanna
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was also rather disappointed that there were very few monitors there this year. There were quite a bit of V. prasinus there, and a few V. reisingeri(the first ones I've actually got to see 'in the flesh' and was tempted on buying), and a few odatria scattered here and there.

Truthfully, I wasn't expecting there to be that many this year, as Retes and a few others weren't planning on making it down to FL, although i was suprised that Jason(new owner of rare earth) didn't show up. He'll be down there this upcoming august, so I'm sure he'll bring along all his 'goodies' for everyone to drool over.

Daytona for me, is more of a time to socialize, chat reptiles, and catch up on old times at night with all my herp buddies over some drinks; many of which I left behind in Florida when I moved back up to New York. This year I was a bit bummed out, as I missed several people I wanted to chat with and meet in person, as the whole weekend is so hectic and full of excitement. But all in all, between the guest speakers, seminars/lectures, benefit auctions, beach, bars/nightlife, and the expo itself, it really is one exciting, herp-filled weekend.

I have been attending the Daytona show for the past five years now, and each year, the show keeps getting better in better(maybe not monitors, but just in experiences). I highly recommend the expo to all of you across the pond, if you have the free time and extra cash to fly down there for the week, or just the weekend. I suppose you can call the daytona expo, the "mecca" of herp gatherings here in the states. I have also heard great things about the Hamm show in Germany, has anybody ever attended it before? Would it be worth making the trip out there for it? After all, I am more interested in, and in favor of the 'european approach' to herp keeping, than the way things are here in the states...

Anyways, hopefully you'll make it out there this year, and we can chat monitors over some drinks. cheers Scott,

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: