Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mealworm breeding setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Mealworm breeding setup Reply with quote

Hello all,

I would like to breed Mealworm but can't figure out the best way of sorting out eggs and being able to keep them clean. I have read several breeding care sheets, some say seperate the mealworm at different lifecycles etc others say leave them to it in one breeding tub. I can't find any that go through egg seperation and effective cleaning or what not though.

Do you seperate the mealworm into different tubs depending on what 'stage' they are at in their life cycle?

How do you sort eggs and hatchlings out and get rid of the dusty dirt/droppings too?

If anybody could give me a quick run through of how to maintain a successful breeding colony it would be great Smile
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giants or normals?

I much prefer to breed giants, even if I use them at the 'normal' size.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to breed the normals Tenebrio molitor
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ah thought you were on about morio's at first Scott, but rereading your post maybe you're not.

I always thought giant mealworms were hormonally induced normal mealworms so never used them. Do you ifnd them easier to breed though?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleef wrote:
I ah thought you were on about morio's at first Scott, but rereading your post maybe you're not.

I always thought giant mealworms were hormonally induced normal mealworms so never used them. Do you ifnd them easier to breed though?

yep morio's, there not 'tampered' with at all, just a naturally occuring 'giant' mealworm.

I find them much better to breed, use and feed. They can be gut loaded far better, live on a better diet while growing and when you do feed them they DON'T turn into beetles or pupate Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks Scott, confusing stuff all this 'giant' and 'super' or whatever
Laughing I may have a go at breeding both mealworms and morio's in that case and see how I get on.

Once you have seperated out morio's into individual compartments/enclosed spaces so they pupate and turn to beetles, do you then just have a colony of beetles in a seperate tub? How do you sort out the beetles from the eggs + hatchlings?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: