Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breeding and Culling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sioux
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stubeanz wrote:
i found it quite informative thanx i would agree though practise with dead mice till its right, it would be horrible to not kill the mouse and cause it pain. Sad
another method to kill instantly which hasnt been mentioned is to bang the mouse on the head, by swinging it with force into a hard surface they will die instantly.
also ive found pinkies can be thrown to the ground quite hard n they will die instantly but not too hard otherwise they will explode. Shocked
stu

All fair comments Stu the "swinging" method is as I described for adult rats but try and hit it on the back of the neck and it will snap if you hit it on the head and stun it and have to do it again that when it gets "messy" you will get blood splatter on the second "swing" impact

stubeanz
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o sorry i didnt read the rat bit lol teach me 2 read the whole thread next time Laughing
stu
Sioux
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stubeanz wrote:
o sorry i didnt read the rat bit lol teach me 2 read the whole thread next time Laughing
stu

Laughing

Young_Gun
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy and usually mess free way of killing rat/mouse/rabbit pinks is to give em a really good flick in the head, usually crushes the skull and snaps the neck.

Sioux, I have been using the hold ears hold scruff of the neck and pull in opposite directions for rabbits and hares, that the best method you know of?
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An easy and usually mess free way of killing rat/mouse/rabbit pinks is to give em a really good flick in the head

so you can flick an adult rat to death?...sod playing tiddly winks or conkers with you.. Laughing
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Quote:
An easy and usually mess free way of killing rat/mouse/rabbit pinks is to give em a really good flick in the head

so you can flick an adult rat to death?...sod playing tiddly winks or conkers with you.. Laughing

jamie_s
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stuart
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:18 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

so you can flick an adult rat to death?...sod playing tiddly winks or conkers with you..

lol nice one stu Very Happy
KJ Exotics
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Breeding and Culling Reply with quote

Sioux wrote:

I have “legal” methods for culling rabbits and guinea pigs if anyone wants to know.
As the saying goes cull quickly and cleanly do not torture!

Can you place these on another thread, makes great reading thanks for the information.
Nuneaton warwickshire
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread Sioux, Very Happy I used the 'bang on back of a head' meathod, much prefer the manual way tbh.

I was also put off by CO2 when I had heard some people had almost gassed themselves in the process, put me off a bit.

All also, when you just want to off one, setting up a chamber seems alot of hassle.
Sioux
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaches wrote:
Interesting thread Sioux, Very Happy I used the 'bang on back of a head' meathod, much prefer the manual way tbh.

I was also put off by CO2 when I had heard some people had almost gassed themselves in the process, put me off a bit.

All also, when you just want to off one, setting up a chamber seems alot of hassle.

I agree it can be / is a lot of hassle for small numbers and of course the methods I discribed are "cost free" no gas to buy no chamber to make / buy.
You need an air tight box with two tubes leading out on at the bottom to pump the Co2 into one at the top for the air to escape. There comes a point when all the air is displaced by the Co2 and Co2 leaks out.
at this point you can seal the top tube but if the Co2 is going in under pressure then "something will have to give and there could be a leak of Co2

F'crissakes don't attempt this in confined / enclosed spaces the risks are mninimal but its there non the less.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: