Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breeding and Culling
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sioux
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Breeding and Culling Reply with quote

Apologies if this has been done before (Though I couldn’t find similar data on here)
And I have no wish to teach anyone to suck eggs but it may just help someone out

Mice
Viable breeding life females 18-24 months
Although they will breed longer fertility rates drop off and litter sizes decrease
Male’s up to 3 years
Sexual maturity @8weeks
5day oestrus cycle
Post partum oestrus
21 gestation period
21 days to weaning

Mice are quite easy to breed
1male 3 females is quite reasonable
Though 2males / 5 females is the optimum (5 day oestrus cycle) if put together young enough there should be little or no territorial disputes with the 2 males
1 male 5 females will work but spare a thought for the poor fella
Approx 21oc and 14hrs photoperiod ( lights on)

Females will breed on post partum oestrus that is they come into “season” for 24hrs after giving birth. If they are not mated at this time they will either come into “season” 5days later if this is missed they will come into season 20 days after giving birth

Litters of up to 20 are possible but usually a lot less

Rat data is very similar
Though litter sizes tend to be smaller and economic breeding life slightly longer
Females 24-30 months
Males up to 3 years
Gestation period 22 days
age of weaning 21-28 days ( this depends on the strain used)

Now for the gruesome bit, if you’re squeamish don’t read on

Culling,
Drowning rats / mice is both cruel and illegal

Here is the recognised method laid down by UFAW. And the IAT

Mice pups’ decapitation
Not always practical if you want the whole “meal”
So, Hold the mouse / rat pup on its back, in your hand and push your thumb into its neck quickly and firmly this breaks its neck quick and painless if done correctly
Adults
Place the mouse on a non slip surface with the head facing to your left (if right handed)
Place your 1st finger and thumb tips firmly behind the ears and into the crevice in the skull ( you will feel the “gap” ) hold the BASE of the tail in your other hand pull back and lift up at the same time with a swift and single firm movement
(You can place a pencil, length ways directly behind the ears if you don't want to use your fingers)
(Practice on dead ones if you have any) this serves to break the neck at the 3rd vertebra quick and painless.
Caveat: holding the tail too far down and the tail will break off pull too hard and you will remove the head.
Its technique that important, not strength.

Rats can be culled in exactly the same way though a little more strength is required

Another method for adult rats:
Have the rat on a non slip surface facing away from you on a sturdy surface such as a work bench grasp the BASE of the tail lift the rat by the tail to about shoulder height at the same time flip it over and bring the rats neck NOT head sharply into contact with the edge of the working surface this will serve to snap the neck.
Again practice on dead ones if you have them.
Caveat (there is always one) Do not attempt the above unless you are confident that you can follow this through
There may be slight blood splatter with this method so be warned.

I have “legal” methods for culling rabbits and guinea pigs if anyone wants to know.
As the saying goes cull quickly and cleanly do not torture!

Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative mate,cheers for posting up. Cool
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Very informative mate,cheers for posting up. Cool

Cheers Stuart I hope it helps someone out

garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, why are there no 'gassing' type methods listed?

If done correctly, would they not be the most humane methods as well as the most 'pleasant' for the 'culler' ?

Gary

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Sioux
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garysumpter wrote:
Out of curiosity, why are there no 'gassing' type methods listed?

If done correctly, would they not be the most humane methods as well as the most 'pleasant' for the 'culler' ?

Gary

Quite right Gary, I agree but as most ( I assume?) don't have access to Co2 barbiturates etc I left those out, and I just described the "mechanical" techniques

garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.

I will DEFINATELY be opting for gas methods. The Americans are using dry ice to produce the vapours which is supposedly very good.

Gary

gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Sioux
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garysumpter wrote:
Fair enough.

I will DEFINATELY be opting for gas methods. The Americans are using dry ice to produce the vapours which is supposedly very good.

Gary

Hi Gary
Your quite right dry ice gives off Co2 but quite slowly also it will lower the temperature slowly I have no experience of this method but I would have thought that the temperature will lower dramatically before all the o2 is displaced making it quite a cold environment?. ( thermal shock is a possibility)
If you are using this method I would be interested in the "terminal" temperature of the container that contains the culled animals, for curiosity's sake

I have used the methods I outlined for many years and many many times, and it takes a split second to cull mice & rats and it remains my preferred method (s)

garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats all very well, but for some, like me, who has obtained a colony and has no experience in any of these methods, its quite scary.

I HATE the thought of one of the above methods going wrong, even a few seconds suffering is not acceptable.

Im sure many others are looking for a humane solution that cannot really go wrong.

Without being 'taught' it would be easy to cock up one of the 'what or crack' methods dont you think?

Gary

gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Sioux
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garysumpter wrote:
Thats all very well, but for some, like me, who has obtained a colony and has no experience in any of these methods, its quite scary.

I HATE the thought of one of the above methods going wrong, even a few seconds suffering is not acceptable.

I'm sure many others are looking for a humane solution that cannot really go wrong.

Without being 'taught' it would be easy to cock up one of the 'what or crack' methods dont you think?

Gary

Yep no worries Gary if you don't think that you could follow it through or maybe cock up then I would say definitely DON'T try it. ( thats not meant sarcastically BTW)
Its not for every one but its a lot better than "some methods" of culling I have heard of in the past.

garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how did YOU learn? Someone show you?

Gary

gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: