Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carpet Pythons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Carpet Pythons Reply with quote

Just a quick question for python keepers.

I currently have my yearish coastal carpet in a 4ft x 18inch x 18 inch viv - its ample space for her atm the moment.

However, I have been offered a pair of adult jungles off of a friend who has ' lost all interest in snakes'. Now, id love to take this pair off him, male and female. However, the only space I have is for another 4ft x 18 inch x 18 inch viv. Will this be enough space for them both, they are 6 foot and 8 foot respectivley. I might be able to sort another viv in time - prob 5ft x 2ft x 2ft, but I want to make sure they wont become overly stressed in a viv that size.

Cheers, James
goldenburm
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you had to keep the pair together I would have a minimum 5x3x3 but say 5x3x5 would be better, with loads of branches in there and perhaps a split level, those are big jungles especially 8ft!?!? U sure they are jungles???? Well anyway I would say in short term they could stay in there but tbh I would aim for a fair bit bigger!

Peter
1.0 pastel motley DEAD
2.0 sunglows 1.0 LIVING
1.1 pastel het snow 0.1 LIVING
2.2 albino boas DEAD
0.2 albino ara's DEAD
0.4 boa constrictors 0.2 LIVING

Last edited by goldenburm on Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No im not sure there jungles. But if there coastals 6ft is small. Ill have to be sure.

I have read varying information where it comes to keeping carpets, acreptiles.com states that they dont need the height, and there better kept in smaller vivs to eliminate stress. Where as others seems to say to go for a huge viv. I will house them for 3 months and see how they go. If there is a problem I will make the space for a large viv.
ReptileResort
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m8 that's no were near anuff room for a pair , the pics in this section call big pythons is a pic of me holding a pair of 3 year old carpet pythons and the male is around 7ft at the mo , but they are in a 7ft tall (as they are jungle they love to climb) his pair are always hanging around lol , by 4ft wide by 3 to 4 depth , and they will need a bigger viv soon , i would try to make there viv bigger m8 than 5ft by 2ft by 2ft they I wouldn't but them in a viv for longer than a week m8 , that just because of the fact that the viv my m8's are in is getting a bit to small and that's &ft by 4ft by 3 to 4ft lol
3 Bearded Dragons - Sandie, Spike & Mue
1 Petri sand Gecko
1 Banded Gecko my daughters|15baby beardies
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cheers guys, ill have to turn him down
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReptileResort wrote:
m8 that's no were near anuff room for a pair , the pics in this section call big pythons is a pic of me holding a pair of 3 year old carpet pythons and the male is around 7ft at the mo , but they are in a 7ft tall (as they are jungle they love to climb) his pair are always hanging around lol , by 4ft wide by 3 to 4 depth , and they will need a bigger viv soon , i would try to make there viv bigger m8 than 5ft by 2ft by 2ft they I wouldn't but them in a viv for longer than a week m8 , that just because of the fact that the viv my m8's are in is getting a bit to small and that's &ft by 4ft by 3 to 4ft lol

Can i just pipe up and say that the viv dimensions you are using and looking to use for the next viv are by NO means what they need What you want to give them, yes, but not what they need. I would say 4x3x3 would do them, or possibly even 5x2x3. Embarassed

Either way your viv dimensions are too small unfortunately IMO Sad

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
ReptileResort
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7ft by 4ft by 3 to 4ft not &ft by 4ft by 3 to 4ft lol my m8s viv is well more than bigger noth it was a type error on my behalf lol soz but na he has his 2 in 7FT tall by 4ft wide by 3 ft depth and hes going to build a bigger one soon Smile
3 Bearded Dragons - Sandie, Spike & Mue
1 Petri sand Gecko
1 Banded Gecko my daughters|15baby beardies
goldenburm
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now thats a good size viv! any bigger he will have issues with heating IMO
1.0 pastel motley DEAD
2.0 sunglows 1.0 LIVING
1.1 pastel het snow 0.1 LIVING
2.2 albino boas DEAD
0.2 albino ara's DEAD
0.4 boa constrictors 0.2 LIVING
Jamesg
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had room to get a viv of that size, alas I dont.

Having recently finished uni Ive moved home whilst I get myself settled. Ive already got a couple of large vivs, not to mention several smaller in my room, and they lost there temper when I said I was preparing some room for a 4 x 3 x 3 or there abouts.

Theres a point I have to stop and respect the parents so I have turned my friend down, unfortunatly. Plenty of time to increase the collection when I get myself sorted and move out. Smile
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReptileResort wrote:
7ft by 4ft by 3 to 4ft not &ft by 4ft by 3 to 4ft lol my m8s viv is well more than bigger noth it was a type error on my behalf lol soz but na he has his 2 in 7FT tall by 4ft wide by 3 ft depth and hes going to build a bigger one soon Smile

Exclamation Say what? Exclamation

Sorry but i may be slow here but i havent got a clue what you're saying in the above post.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: