Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OOPS, start again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: OOPS, start again Reply with quote

Hi time to start again

Methinks my previous post died a death, I have now burried it in the garden. No offence was meant by the post, I was genuinely just asking questions out of interest, nuff said sorry.

If anyone can help with the following I would be grateful, thanks.

In setting up a viv for a Yemen, 3ftx2ftx4ft, would the new reptisun10 be OK for UV and a 150w basking lamp on a dimmer stat be ok for heat. Are there any basking lamps that should be avoided or any that are particularly good. Or would heat be best supplied via a ceramic type bulb heater on a pulse stat if a uv tube is also used.

I have read that a night time drop in temp is required, about 15degree drop, is this right. The room that the viv will be in drops to approx 65 degrees at night (this can vary by approx 5 degrees either way). Would night time heating for the viv be required, if so would a ceramic heater on a pulse stat be the way to go, and what would be the temp required.

What should the daytime basking spot temp be for a young Yemen (lower temp?) as opposed to an adult, if there is a need for differnt temps that is. If so what are the respective temps please. Are seasonal temp / light hours adjustments required.

I am keen to set the viv up correctly, hope I'm not being to fussy but I just want to get it right, thanks for any help / advice.

Rick

Thanks
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rick,
that's a good size viv, you just need to ensure you can get enough ventilation in it. I use 100% mesh screen vivs, so basically what I saying is that you can't provide too much in the way of vents (just make sure there are no cold draughts blowing).

As for heating / lighting, I would probably try and use a 100 or 150 powersun. This CAN'T be controlled by a thermostat so you need to ensure that you test it properly. I use 100 watt powersuns, then I place branches under at different distances, this way the chameleon can choose what they want. Sometimes they are just a few inches away, other times they sit 2ft away. As my cavges are screen cages they can not over heat (unless the whole room over heats). Night time heat for mine is just ambient room temps, 20c, sometimes down to 18c.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info, I assume that having a variety of basking ranges will allow the yemen to find a temp that's most suitable. In turn this would negate the need for seasonal temp changes and any young / adult yemen variations in temp requirements? As long as the highest temp area did not exceed what they would encounter in the wild. Should the hours the lights are on be varied per season. Yes viv will have high level of ventilation. Thanks

Rick
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, by giving the animal as many choices with regards to basking temps takes away the need to force decisions on it. Baby yemens have access to the same temps in the wild as adults so it make sense to let them choose just how hot they want to bask.

Just bear in mind that if they are ALWAYS as close to the basking site as possible, then it's not hot enough. If they are always a distance away, it's too hot.

I keep my lights set at 14 hours on, 10 hours off, all thru the year. That seems to work for the entire collection.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Cheers Reply with quote

Makes sense to me. I guess when starting up it is easy to get over technical in trying to get it right (and then getting confused) , in the wild nothing is exact, I suppose trying to recreate as much as is possible the natural climate / habitat is the best way to go. Is there any justification for using electronic ballast for lighting tubes as opposed to magnetic or is this a ploy for some companies to just flog more gear.
cheers Rick
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing see what I mean about getting to technical arghh!
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cheers Reply with quote

Rickeezee wrote:
Makes sense to me. I guess when starting up it is easy to get over technical in trying to get it right (and then getting confused) , in the wild nothing is exact, I suppose trying to recreate as much as is possible the natural climate / habitat is the best way to go. Is there any justification for using electronic ballast for lighting tubes as opposed to magnetic or is this a ploy for some companies to just flog more gear.
cheers Rick

lol...that's far too technical for me Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: