Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

exeter rep show Cancelled!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_dave_
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_dave_ wrote:
lol could they not have cancelled it last week if anything? bunch of c-units!

i mean the council BY THE WAY . not the people behind ERE.
Susie_L
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Section 2 of the pet animals act (1951) Reply with quote

If I'm right Section 2 of the pet animals act (1951) states
"Pets can not be sold in the street, including on barrows and markets".

What on earth does this have to do with a reptile show in a hall?

Talk about misinterpretation!!!!!!!
Gongylus74
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked to the right people at the council earlier, they've submitted a press release today which they sent me a copy of via email. Here it is in full:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

News Service

17 August 2007

EXPO COULD HAVE GONE AHEAD IF NO ANIMALS WERE SOLD

Council did not force closure of reptile show

EAST Devon District Council today moved fast to counter claims that its officers had forced the cancellation of the Exeter Reptile Expo 2007.
A Council spokesman said: “At no time did we seek to ban the show. We simply made it clear to the event organisers that reptiles and other animals should not be offered for sale, as this could breach Section 2 of the Pet Animals Act 1951.
“The Act seeks to ensure that animals are bought and sold only in humane and regulated conditions. The organisers of Expo 2007 were advised that the show could go ahead if the animals were exhibited but not sold”.
Event moved from Exeter
The event had been moved from its original venue in Exeter and was to have been staged at the Rolle Campus in Exmouth on Saturday 18 August.
The show’s organisers did not notify the Council that the event was to take place, but Environmental Health Officers learned late on Tuesday 14 August from Exeter City Council that the South Western Reptilian Society were intending to hold a reptile show at Rolle College.
It was clear from advertising on their website that reptiles and other animals were to be offered for sale at the event.
Liable to prosecution
The Council took a view that vendors at the show could expose themselves to prosecution under the Pet Animals Act 1951. We advised the organiser that if the event was to be staged, live animals must only be exhibited and no sales should take place.

Both the expo organisers and the owners of the venue were advised of EDDC’s view by early morning on Thursday 16 August. They were also advised that officers of the council were likely to attend the event to ensure no illegal sales took place.
The Government intends to legislate to further regulate pet fairs in the interests of animal welfare. Until that happens, Councils work with the powers available in existing legislation.

Ends

For information, please contact:
Nick Stephen, Communications Officer on 01395 517559
East Devon District Council, Knowle, Sidmouth, Devon EX10 8HL
www.eastdevon.gov.uk
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
All very very frustrating irrespective of the ins and outs or rights and wrongs, am sure you will all agree. Sad

Jonathan
Gongylus74
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Section 2 of the pet animals act (1951) Reply with quote

Susielea wrote:
If I'm right Section 2 of the pet animals act (1951) states
"Pets can not be sold in the street, including on barrows and markets".

What on earth does this have to do with a reptile show in a hall?

Talk about misinterpretation!!!!!!!

Unfortunately Susie it states that pets cannot be sold in any public place and the annotation under the bit about the barrow etc. then says this:

"Public place" is not defined by the Act but is usually defined in other Acts as any place to which the public have access whether on payment or otherwise.

So I guess in this regard what they are saying makes sense, not that I'm justifying the decision in any way. Far from it in fact as I am so disappointed with how things have turned out, how the hell do all the other shows get around this anyway?

Jonathan
davo
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn. I was all set to go and everything, it is dissappointing news for me, regardless of how I feel for the reasons it was cancelled.
BallGuy
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the way the others get round this is by making it a not open to the public event.

That is ,you have to be an IHS member or affiliate (or equivalent organisation) to gain entry, I could be wrong and maybe other councils aren't being as pedantic when interpreting the legislation.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be honest we can all get as mad as we want about the council.... but if you read this

Quote:
The event had been moved from its original venue in Exeter and was to have been staged at the Rolle Campus in Exmouth on Saturday 18 August.
The show’s organisers did not notify the Council that the event was to take place, but Environmental Health Officers learned late on Tuesday 14 August from Exeter City Council that the South Western Reptilian Society were intending to hold a reptile show at Rolle College

It clearly shows that they didnt go about it correctly... they had got clearence from exeter council for the show and sale but did not get this clearence from Exmouth infact if Exeter council hadnt of called or written then Exmouth council wouldnt have know... this to me puts a large part of the blame for this on the people organising this event.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
aidan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o well theres all ways next year

2.4. beardies
1.1 fire n uce beardies
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
0.0.1 corns
0.0.2 crested geckos
Young_Gun
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidan wrote:

Is there?
Unless your a member/affiliate of something like the good old IHS then your probably not going to be able to get a show going, seems like the new bill is helping them get the monopoly on shows?
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidan wrote:

Laughing Aiden, you really need to start reading the entire page Laughing the site says the show has been canceled for ever not to be held again Wink

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: