Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good starter/beginner tarantula...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Good starter/beginner tarantula... Reply with quote

What would you guys say was a good tarantula for a first time owner. I like the look of Mexican Red Knees but have heard they are prone to firing their hairs. If I ever got one I would want one that looked good and I could setup a great looking natural tank for it.

Also I thought this would be a good topic for other's interested in maybe getting their first T.
lovesnakes
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in getting a tarantula. two species being recommended to me are
Chile rose
pink toe
both really docile (although you do still get that odd individual!) pink toes are arboreal and therefore appreciate a little height in their enclosure, whereas the Chile is terrestrial. if you shop around, both species can vary a little in their looks and there are some gorgeous individuals about, males in most cases having the edge!

I've done a little enquiring about the red knees and to their hair dropping and I'm getting a lot of mixed responses, so again i think it could be luck of the draw. (and if or how often you plan to handle it)

I'm still undecided as to which I'm going for. i have kept a Chile before many years back but feel as though I'm starting all over again, hence the starter!!

try this place if you haven't already http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/index.php

good luck

Andy
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first tarantula a few months back, a Chile Rose (G.Rosea).

NO regrets, great spider!

I am going to get a Red Knee (B.Smithi) in a few weeks now I am more comfortable handling the Chile.

Gary

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chile Roses make great starter T's and are very hardy.

Avicularia species (pink toes ect) are also great to keep but they require a higher humidity in their enclosure, up to 80% which is easy to achieve with regular misting and a damp substrate.
They also make a lovely funnel style web that they spend most of their time hiding in. Well, mine did anyway Smile
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first spider was a chilean rose as said they are very hardy and can tolerate alot, they can live at room temp as well and are very docile also hondouran curly hairs and mexican red knees make good starter spiders, personally id look for a red colour form chilean rose if I was buying a first spider because they are not as boring to look at and just the same to keep.
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would most of these be OK to be housed in the 30x30x30cm exo terras?
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh they all would be ok in that, unless they are not adult then a tank of that size might be too big, depending on the size of the spider
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after all that I think I'm going to eventally have a couple of emperor scorpions when my mates breed. Althought I'm not ruling T's out forever Laughing
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiUK wrote:
yeh they all would be ok in that, unless they are not adult then a tank of that size might be too big, depending on the size of the spider

If they were spiderlings or juveniles, simply pop them in a cricket box or other small tub-like housing with substrate, waterbowl ect and put THAT in the exo-terra.
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to how a tank can be 'too big'. I mean in the wild there are no boundaries. Surely if you provide them with the right setup then it wouldn't matter how big a tank you had.
If I'm wrong please tell me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: