Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

im new to corn snakes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linda
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: im new to corn snakes Reply with quote

hi all,
my boyfriend has just bought me my 1st corn snake, i want to know if any of you have been bitten Confused and does it hurt bad!
i found a mite on it today under the chin and got it out then bathed him in the bath, is their anything i need to know about mites??

how many pinkies are you feeding your snake? mine is about 3months old and im feeding him pinkies about every 2/3 days but yesterday (sunday) he took 2, is this right?

any help would be great.
phoenixfire1988
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's no corn hes a grey rat snake, but part of the same group, corns are a rat snake.

It doesn't hurt to get bitten depending on where he bites you. If he bites you were your skin is thickest, you probably won't feel it. I don't. But if he bites you where it is thinner, it feels like a pin prick. When he get's bigger his teeth will get biger too, and it will porbably hurt at first but not for long. depends on the bite.

When he ain't hungry he won't eat, he ignores what you offer him. so if your snake is eating it it doesn't matter. Just so long as he isn't regurgitating it.
linda
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.
i have done what most people are saying on here to feed him 2 pinkies every 5 days and he is starving! so i think im just going to feed him, when i think he is hungry.
cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baby corn bites don't hurt in the slightest. the most that will happen is that it will make you jump but if you don't happen to be looking at the time you probably wouldn't know it had happened.

Linda, it's very easy to overfeed corn snakes. It's best to stick to a feeding regime dependent on the size of the snake. In my opinion, it's better to feed larger meals at longer intervals than lots of smaller meals every couple of days. This is because it gives them longer to digest the meals properly which is far better for their digestion and also enables them to make the most out of each meal.

How old/large is the snake? Do you have any pictures?

Reptile Lover
linda
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi corn fan,
thanks for that i keep getting different answers all the time....lol
well im feeding him 2 at a time now every 5days.
he was born in sept and is about 15in long, red in clour.
i dont have any pics but im going to try and get some.
cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of decreasing the amount of days between feeds you'd be better off increasing the number of pinks. If he's still hungry after having two and you think he might manage three then try him with three. If he keeps all three down with no problem then stick with that until you feel he's ready to move up a food size to a fuzzy.

Are the two pinks leaving much of a bulge after he's eaten?

Reptile Lover
linda
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes sort of bulge but not as big as i thought there would, also the bulge dissapears quite quickly.
so if i up up the pinkies to 3 how often should i feed him?
cornfan
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every five to seven days is fine

Reptile Lover
JohnC
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Cornfan.
If your corn snake has mites, you need to eradicate them otherwise they will multiply and eventually kill your snake.
There are several different ways to do this, some people use one way, some another.
You can buy a preparation of a different type of mite which will eat the snake mites, you can use a chemical, Frontline being the best, or you can try bathing in oil.
For a baby snake, the first method is worth trying as it is not invasive to the snake.
These are the predator mites
http://www.defenders.co.uk/sciarid_fly_control.htm

What do you think, Linda?
JohnC
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my comments about mites, before you treat your corn, you need to establish whether the mites on him are snake mites. There are very many sorts of mites but only one feeds on snakes. The snake mite is a spherical shape and black in colour, with a small off-white spot.
He should have a water bowl that he can immerse himself, mites often itch and make the corn go into water to ease the itch. A few mites may drown and you find them at the bottom of the bowl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: