Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dumerils

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Dumerils Reply with quote

Heres some photos of a couple of my Dums seen as it was cleaning out day, the only snakes I now keep Sad Not through choice!!! Very Happy

Also included a photo of their current, set up, working well for me as they're all feeding! Thank god for that, haven't had an amazing amount of luck with them in the past!

Karl you still think they're brown?! This is a couple of my duller females, male didn't want to play with the camera today Rolling Eyes
inca
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: dums Reply with quote

Nice pics of your Dums how many did you get? I have breed them for the past few years with great succes, they are always a bit iffy at feeding at first but after a week they soon kick in big time!
I house mine in opaque plastic tubs about 20x12x8 in this i place 3" of large sterilized bark chipings and a large hand full of spag moss, the neonates spend most of their time with just their head sticking out waiting to ambush what ever comes along, i find this set up works a treat. Dont wish to tell you how to suck eggs but thought it might help.
goldenburm
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I luve dums and will have a feeding one again soon, I inherited a non feeding hatchling without paperwork, when I contacted DEFRA they said they would see what they could do, a few weeks later i get a call from them saying they had heard i was keeping a non certificated animal and did I know I was breaking the laW!!! LOL did I go a tad mediaeval on em!!! luckily i took the name of the person i originally spoke too and they confirmed I had told em!!! That little baby was assist fed for 6 months and I still could not get it to feed so passed it onto someone else with more experience and I believe she is now downing adult rats no probs!!!
1.0 pastel motley DEAD
2.0 sunglows 1.0 LIVING
1.1 pastel het snow 0.1 LIVING
2.2 albino boas DEAD
0.2 albino ara's DEAD
0.4 boa constrictors 0.2 LIVING
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cardboard box is full of shredded paper and the other hide full of sphag moss. They spend nearlly all their time, as you say, lying with their heads sticking out in ambush! This is working good for me at this moment as I've got them all feeding but if I have any problems I may change around the set up slightly with your advice Wink I've had other clutches that just would not feed for the life of me, but others that storm down straight from the start. At the moment I'm defrosting all the rat pups with a chick, this has worked for me in the past and is working great now, the scent of the chick gives them a good kick Cool
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldenburm wrote:
I luve dums and will have a feeding one again soon, I inherited a non feeding hatchling without paperwork, when I contacted DEFRA they said they would see what they could do, a few weeks later i get a call from them saying they had heard i was keeping a non certificated animal and did I know I was breaking the laW!!! LOL did I go a tad mediaeval on em!!! luckily i took the name of the person i originally spoke too and they confirmed I had told em!!!

See now that is odd. To my knowledge you can legally own one as long as it isnt bought/sold or bred without paperwork.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
inca
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one, I always start mine on live which is not a problem as I breed rodents for food anyway.
I have used odour manipulation to get Royals to feed before and had to defrost their food in Lizard skin!
Dums are major ambush predetors my adults are kept in a large viv with 6" of dry spag moss and leaves as substrate, it can be fun changeing the water or cleaning them when 8ft of hungry dum lurches for your face Very Happy
goldenburm
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan that was my thoughts as well. this was about 7 or 8 yrs ago now! and the new owner told em he now had the same snake as I had reported without paperwork, and i got another call saying I was selling an animal that requires paperwork.. after waiting 45 minutes to speak to someone regarding this I told em again the situation and got an "oh thanks for letting us know!"
1.0 pastel motley DEAD
2.0 sunglows 1.0 LIVING
1.1 pastel het snow 0.1 LIVING
2.2 albino boas DEAD
0.2 albino ara's DEAD
0.4 boa constrictors 0.2 LIVING
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: